[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:48:19 EDT 2008

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Correction to Nou's point.  The Original Dixieland Jazz Band, who billed
> themselves "The Creators of Jazz", recorded the first Jazz music [sic] on
> records and were simply a group of White guys who copied African-American
> music, and called it their own. The musician's who play Traditional New
> Orleans music will never and have never used the term 'Dixieland' to
> describe their music.
>
> Jeff Duperon
>
>  <mrjazzjr at sprintmail.com>

That's why I referred to it as "popularized" rather than originated; I've
always thought of the term Dixieland as referring to a diluted version of
traditional New Orleans derived music (think straw hats, vests and bow-ties)
that became popularized in the aforementioned "Dixieland" revival that I
would  place from the early 40s through the early 50s - the "moldy figs" (as
Leonard Feather called them) that revolted against both 'modern jazz'
(bebop) but even some small ensemble swing. As such, it's not surprising
that they might reach back to the ODJB for a name to describe their music.
I would have trouble believing that Sidney Bechet would ever have referred
to his music as dixieland.

(As an aside, the term bluegrass also originates from the name of a group:
Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys - after Flatt and Scruggs left the group, they
got requests for some of their old repertoire as playing some of that
"bluegrass music" and the name stuck.)

--
====
Nou Dadoun