[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

Jeff Duperon mrjazzjr at sprintmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:48:31 EDT 2008

Tom,

In the case of New Orleans Traditional Jazz, 'simply copied' and 'never' are
matters of fact.  Contact any African American New Orleans musician who was
born in the Tradition and ask if he or she ever referred to New Orleans
Traditional Jazz as 'Dixieland.  You will not find any takers.

The Original Dixieland Jass Band copied the New Orleans Traditional Jazz
style and parlayed their first record into a million seller, in 1917,
because very few if any records companies would record African-American
musicians.

Jeff Duperon

mrjazzjr at sprintmail.com

http://www.myspace.com/mrjazzjr

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his
actions.  You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He
will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it.  You do not need to send
him to the back door.  He will go without being told.  In fact, if there is
no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes
it necessary." Carter G. Woodson, circa 1933

Note: This e-mail is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may
contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.  If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender at
215-482-1402 and delete the e-mail from your computer.