[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 15:50:02 EDT 2008

EdBride at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/13/2008 2:10:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:
>
> <<..there are differences...albeit subtle... in so called  "dixieland" and
> "traditional" jazz. Many of the NO musicians would say the  main difference
> would be in how the beat is interpreted. I also think  too...there is more of a
> blues element in the traditional jazz  bands..>>
>
> I have this discussion with friends, every now and then. It's like beauty  or
> porn, I know it when I hear it, even if I can't define or explain it.
>
> I don't consider myself a Dixieland Jazz fan, yet one of my favorite bands
> is the New Black Eagle Jazz Band. Go figure, eh? I mentioned they're playing
> the  Pittsfield CityJazz Festival this year, and someone said, "I don't like
> Dixieland Jazz." I reply, "Neither to I," and then I'm stymied at how  to
> explain the apparent contradiction.

I have to admit that when I think of the musical term dixieland, I think
of guys in straw hats and stripped shirts. I guess I think of dixieland
as a very commercial kind of music.

I also enjoy the music of the New Black Eagle. I have interviewed
several of their members a few times. They are improvising musicians. I
can certainly enjoy that they improvise with a certain era or feeling in
mind. If you ask many of the bands, they will say that they play music
of a small number of composers while trying to play with the feeling of
a certain period. It would seem to me that what the rhythm section plays
is influenced by the composer and the time period. I'm sure I've asked
the New Black Eagles the questions about who and what and I think I
recall that they are interested basically in the music from around 1930.
But they aren't trying to recreate that music. They try to play in the
style of that period.

Hey Ed, you mentioned you might have one of them come with you when you
come on my show in October. I'd be happy to have one of them join us. I
find when I talk to bands like them that I learn a lot.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz