[JPL] Q about the "first" jazz recording

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Aug 13 17:16:27 EDT 2008

I recall the late 70s when I first became interested in jazz history after
learning of the Cuba-New Orleans connection, I read an article or a book
that mentioned that the executives of the record company that first recorded
the Original Dixieland Jazz Band had asked an all-Black jazz ensemble to
record but they turned down the opportunity because of not wanting their
music to be "exported" out of New Orleans. After about 30 years I can't
recall the details nor publication but that is more or less the content of
the write up I read. Has anyone else read something to that effect or
perhaps give more accurate information about this?, the vast knowledge of
the members of this group is perhaps jazz's best resource.

Arturo