[JPL] Next week on Satellite Radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 17:30:35 EDT 2008

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (18-24 August 2008)

Twice Monday, August 18th we’ll present another edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the living masters of the saxophone, WAYNE SHORTER, who celebrates his 75th birthday on Monday, August 25th. We’ll find out all about the incredible career of the ageless saxophonist, brilliant composer and 7-time Grammy award winner.  You’ll learn about his work with Maynard Ferguson, Art Blakey and Miles Davis before the formation of the fusion super-group Weather Report with Joe Zawinul.  Plus, you’ll hear lots of his great solo work and hear Wayne’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to WAYNE SHORTER.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week, Michelle throws us a curveball with the jazzy side of Taj Mahal & The Police, takes us to the show for live Maceo Parker & Average White Band, then serves us some of the newest from Stanton Moore, Robert Walter & Lettuce.

This Wednesday and Sunday, we’ll take in some incredible live performances from three of the world’s most famous jazz festivals with DETROIT-NEWPORT-MONTREUX on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern time/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on Beyond Jazz, and this week, we’ll travel to Detroit to hear Stanley Jordan, Russell Malone & Poncho Sanchez live at the 2007 Detroit International Jazz Festival. We’ll travel to Newport, Rhode Island to hear Marcus Miller and Bruce Hornsby with Christian McBride and Jack DeJohnette at the 2007 JVC Newport Jazz Festival.  Then we’re off to beautiful Montreux, Switzerland to hear Miles Davis with guitarist John Scofield and an all-star band with some Sco originals written for Miles in the 1980’s. It’s DETROIT-NEWPORT-MONTREUX on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. We call it IT’S IF FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Well, since Wayne Shorter is celebrating his birthday Monday, August 25th we thought we’d also celebrate his considerable contribution to the Fusion era with one of his fusion classics.  Wayne had made his name as a straight ahead saxman, as a member of one of Miles Davis’s greatest bands, and when Miles moved to fusion he followed with sessions like In A Silent Way, Water Babies, Bitches Brew and On The Corner.  He began to change the rhythms with his own solo works as early as 1967 with the album Schizophrenia.  And of course his collaborations with Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius and the rest of the band known as Weather Report need no further introduction.  As you can see, there’s lot’s to choose from, so each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific, enjoy one of Wayne Shorter’s Greatest Fusion Hits, on this weeks edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark is joined by Russ Davis as the guys take in one of the final shows in the Return To Forever Returns 2008 World Tour in New York City.  They’ll give you their observations before, during and after the show from the middle of the audience and play an hour of rare, live music not only by RTF but also each individual member of the Fab Four of Fusion!

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, August 23rd, we'll celebrate a very important day in jazz history that happens to be the birthday of two of the most important figures in modern jazz with a special presentation titled HAPPY BIRTHDAY WAYNE SHORTER & PAT MARTINO!  What are the chances of two great artists like this being born on the same day, though 11 years apart, only about 90 miles apart.  Wayne was born in Newark, NJ on August 25th, 1933 and Pat was born in Philadelphia on August 25th, 1944. We’ll talk to both of these MOJA greats as well as others who worked with them during the day. Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).   It's HAPPY BIRTHDAY WAYNE SHORTER & PAT MARTINO on Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.