[JPL] Q about the "first" jazz recording

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 18:15:46 EDT 2008

Tom Marcello wrote:

> Arturo,
>
> I believe that story is about Freddie Keppard. RCA offered to record him
> early on (1915?) but he turned the opportunity because he didn't want
> others to steal his music. He was also notorious for covering his hand
> on the trumpet valves for the same reason.
>
> Best,

This is from the Wikipedia:

  (sometimes rendered as Freddy Keppard) (February 27, 1890 - July 15,
1933) was an early jazz cornetist.

Keppard was born in the Creole of Color community of downtown New
Orleans, Louisiana. His older brother Louis Keppard was also a
professional musician. Freddie played violin, mandolin, and accordion
before switching to cornet. After playing with the Olympia Orchestra he
joined Frankie Dusen's Eagle Band, taking the place recently vacated by
Buddy Bolden. Soon after Bolden was off the music scene Keppard was
proclaimed "King Keppard" as the city's top horn player (see: jazz royalty).

About 1914 Joe Oliver won a musical "cutting contest" and claimed
Keppard's crown; soon after Keppard accepted an offer to join Bill
Johnson's band in Los Angeles, California.

Johnson and Keppard's band became the Original Creole Orchestra which
toured the Vaudeville circuit, giving other parts of the USA a first
taste of the music that was not yet known as "jazz".[1] While playing a
successful engagement in New York City in 1915 the band was offered a
chance to record for the Victor Talking Machine Company. In retrospect
this would probably have been the first jazz recording. An often
repeated story says that Keppard didn't want to record because then
everyone else could "steal his stuff". The recording company offered him
$25 flat fee to make a record (a fairly standard rate for non-star
performers at the time), far less than he was earning on the vaudeville
circuit. His retort to this offer, according to Lawrence Gushee's
research was: "Twenty-Five dollars? I drink that much gin in a day!".
The reminiscences of the other members of the Creole Orchestra reveal
that another factor was that the Victor representative had asked them to
make a "test recording" without pay, and the band balked, fearing it was
a ploy to have them make records without being paid.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz