[JPL] Q about the "first" jazz recording

ANTNYBROWN at aol.com ANTNYBROWN at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 19:30:52 EDT 2008

Arturo,
I don't have any of my sources handy, but I recall that cornetist Freddie
Keppard was approached about recording and turned down the offer before the
ODJB's first session in 1917. The first Black NO style jazz band to record was Kid
Ory's in 1921/1922 in Los Angeles with the Nordskog record company.

AB

Anthony Brown, Ph.D.
Director
Asian American Orchestra,
Fifth Stream Music, Inc.
www.anthonybrown.org
(510) 428-2126

Join the Asian American Orchestra in celebrating their 10th anniversary at
YOSHI'S San Francisco on the 11th of September
(http://sf.yoshis.com/sf/jazzclub).