[JPL] On te ODJB

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Wed Aug 13 21:02:57 EDT 2008

I know they seem cheesy and Nick LaRocca indeed denied that the jazz he
played was created by black artists, but I think some credit should be
given to the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, and not simply because they
made the first jazz records. Some of their tunes are still played today
and are quite memorable - Fidgety Feet, Original Dixialnd One Step, etc
and they were the inspiration for artsts like Bix Beiderbecke and Pee Wee
Russell. That's got to count for something. Frank Signorelli wrote some
really nice stuff when he was with Whiteman and Eddie Edwards was a pretty
good trombone player. It's worth reading Nick LaRocca's bio too - it's not
uninteresting.