[JPL] Jerry Wexler/R&B/Jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 16:36:34 EDT 2008

Without question Jerry Wexler was at the helm of bringing great black American R&B and soul music to the world. I can't possibly imagine what soul or R&B music history would sound like if he never existed. I do have a question though...and this is simply an observation that seeks opinion...

While "soul" music was dominated by vocals and heavily influenced by gospel music... R&B at it's inception... was just as much instrumental...if not more so... as it was vocal...and evolved out of blues AND jazz. Considering, could it be that this R&B movement was an unintentional start to the simplification and dumbing down of jazz? I've never heard anyone really talk about this but I think it to be true. While one form blossomed the other that initiated it suffered...all for the purposes of sales.

Jae Sinnett