[JPL] Jerry Wexler/R&B/Jazz

louisx at verizon.net louisx at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 17:46:05 EDT 2008

I don't think it's that simple. I think the influence goes both ways -- jazz
influenced R&B as much as R&B influenced jazz. "Dumbing down" is an
ambiguous term and very subjective. One can say that when jazz gets to be in
a place where it's called "dumb", then it isn't jazz any more and therefore
cannot be "dumbed down" jazz. But someone may package it as jazz and there,
my friend, is the problem. Personally, I don't even know what jazz is any
more. Categories never made much sense to me. Music is moving air. It can't
be boxed.