[JPL] The Return of Return to Forever

Philip Booth philipbooth at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 16 10:50:59 EDT 2008

(Late responding to this, but ...)

Dr. - Did you like RTF the first time around?
I was knocked out by their show at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater.
I was surprised by how fresh and creative their brand of fusion sounded,
this many years down the line. IMO, the energy level, group interaction and
individual improvisations were all impressive, and appealing.
And midway throught the show, they went "unplugged," with Al and Chick doing
a freeform thing that led into "Spain," and Chick, Stanley and Lenny doing a
nice (if too brief) piano trio version of "Solar."
Of course, I was a big fan of RTF the first time around (and as a young
bassist, then primarily playing electric, I couldn't get enough of Stanley).
I never had the chance to catc RTF live back then. I hope they do more
together, and I'd gladly go see them again.
BTW, I reviewed the show for Billboard -- online at www.billboard.com
Philip Booth
Tampa