[JPL] Jazz and RnB

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Aug 17 12:03:05 EDT 2008

I had a memorable encounter with the garrulous Jerry Wexler at a Fabulous
Thunderbirds show at the Bottom Line on Valentine's Day in 1983.

And this discussion of jazz and r&b reminds me of a line that T-Birds
guitarist Jimmie Vaughan said of his group's conception back in the 70's:
"We're just lookin' for a new way to do the boogie woogie."  If you go back
to the earliest piano blues recordings of the 20's, you'll hear the basics
of most that has developed since then in the way of Kansas City swing, jump
blues, New Orleans r&b, rock'n'roll, soul-- the unfolding of a half-century
of music is right there in prototypes created by Cow Cow Davenport, Pine Top
Smith, Roosevelt Sykes and countless others.  Listen to Joe Turner and Pete
Johnson's 1938 "Roll 'Em Pete," and there you'll hear reduced to voice and
piano the whole dynamic of big band swing.  Turner sings whole choruses
comprised of "Yes, Yes," "Well, Alright Then," and "Bye Baby Bye," that
mirror the call and response of reed and brass sections, and Johnson lays
down the basic rhythmic foundation that in a larger group, whether Basie,
Louis Jordan, T-Bone Walker, Jimmy Reed, or B.B. King would be played by a 3
or 4 piece section.  Robert Johnson's genius as a self-accompanied guitarist
in the mid-1930'a was his ability to maintain a boogie pattern while
simultaneously playing melodic lines.

Doin' the boogie woogie, or as Count Basie put it, swingin' the blues, was a
sufficient pursuit for many musicians.  But blues masters like Duke
Ellington, Lester Young, Roy Eldridge, Billie Holiday, Teddy Wilson, and
Charlie Christian had broader musical visions, and their greatest work of
the 30's and early 40's reached a pinnacle of creativity in the swing idiom.
Nothing much was going to exceed these achievements, and thus it was
inevitable that the next generation would develop greater challenges for
itself.  Bebop was the result, and its fractured melodies, harmonic
complexities, and dance-defying polyrhythms made it the music of a select
listenership, while jump blues, r&b, pop and rock'n'roll maintained a
danceable beat and lyrical subject matter enjoyed by the masses.

Tom Reney