[JPL] Playlist: Vinyl Side of Midnight - 1968

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 19:53:51 EDT 2008

This is the playlist for this week’s Vinyl Side of
Midnight, which can be heard on 89.7 FM WLNZ in the
Greater Lansing area, or you can tune in
internationally on the web on www.wlnz.org  - hosted
by Mike Stratton, Sunday nights, 9- midnight, Eastern
Standard Time
Feel free to forward this to friends.
If you’ve received this and would like to be removed
from the list simply contact me at
dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
You can use that same address for promotional
information.
For more information, visit www.mikestratton.com

8/17/08

1968

This is the year that the wheels came off.
Assassinations of Martin Luther King and Bobby
Kennedy, the Chicago Democratic convention, Vietnam,
civil unrest. Kubrick releases “2001: A Space
Odyssey”.
The Tigers win the World Series.
Nixon wins the election.
Hoo Boy! Have we ever seen such a tumultuous year?
This week we spin
through a little of the music of 1968.

Set List:

Stanley Turrentine - Boogaloo; RARE GROOVES; Blue Note

Larry Young - Heaven On Earth; RARE GROOVES; Blue Note

Frank Sinatra - My Way; THE VERY GOOD YEARS; Reprise
Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer; QUEEN OF
SOUL; Atlantic
Jackie McLean - Soul; BOUT SOUL; Capitol Records

Pepper Adams - I’ve Just Seen Her; ENCOUNTER; Prestige

Pepper Adams - Punjab; ENCOUNTER; Prestige
Cannonball Adderly - Ndo Lima; ACCENT ON AFRICA;
Capitol

George Benson - Thunder Walk; GIBLET GRAVY; Verve
Jimmy Smith - The Boss; THE BOSS; Verve
Wes Montgomery - Road Song; FINEST HOUR; Verve

Lou Donaldson - Brother Soul; SAY IT LOUD; Blue Note
James Brown - Lickin’ Stick; STAR TIME; Polydor

Herbie Hancock - Sorcerer; SPEAK LIKE A CHILD; Blue
Note
Miles Davis - Petits Machins; FILLES DE KILIMANJARO;
Capitol

Miles Davis - Tout De Suite; FILLES DE KILIMANJARO;
Capitol
Jimi Hendrix - 1983 & Moon, Turn The Tides...ELECTRIC
LADYLAND; Reprise

Albert Ayler - Free At Last! THE IMPULSE STORY;
Impulse
Andrew Hll - Dance With Death; DANCE WITH DEATH; Blue
Note

Andrew Hill - Grass Roots; GRASS ROOTS; Blue Note
Thelonious Monk - Reflections; THE COLUMBIA YEARS;
Columbia
Otis Redding - Sittin’ On The Dock Of The Bay; THE
DEFINITIVE OTIS REDDING; Rhino

PLUS - snippets from the following recordings:

Dionne Warwick - Do You Know The Way To San Jose?;
VALLEY OF THE DOLLS; Warner Bros.
Herb Albert - This Guy’s In Love With You; THE BEAT OF
THE BRASS; Almo
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 - The Look Of Love; LOOK
AROUND; A&M
Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Center Of Your Mind;
NUGGETS; Rhino
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain’t Nothing Like The
Real Thing; HITTSVILLE U.S.A.; Motown
Diana Ross & The Supremes - Love Child; HITTSVILLE
U.S.A.; Motown
Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life; HITTSVILLE
U.S.A.; Motown
The Temptations - Cloud Nine; HITTSVILLE U.S.A.;
Motown
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine;
HITTSVILLE U.S.A.; Motown
The Beatles - Cry, Baby, Cry; THE WHITE ALBUM; Apple
The Beatles - Hey Jude; PAST MASTERS VOL. II: EMI

...and the voices of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy.