[JPL] Jazz and RnB

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 22:02:46 EDT 2008

Eric,

  Great info and confirms my long held thoughts about stride being a more urban music - maybe a more direct lineage from rags?

  Mike Stratton
Eric Jackson <eric-jackson at comcast.net> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton

Composer/pianist Lisa Hilton's latest release, ''Sunny Day Theory'' heads to jazz radio next week. Hilton is joined by top talent Lewis Nash on drums, Larry Grenadier on bass and Brice Winston on tenor sax. Eighteen time Grammy winner, Al Schmitt recorded and mixed the 12 track release.

What is the ''Sunny Day Theory''? Hilton smiles, &quot;My engineer Larry Mah made me laugh recounting a 'Foggy Day Theory', so I countered with a 'Sunny Day Theory' which basically assumes that difficulties, if embraced honestly, create opportunity for growth. Life can be challenging: I've realized after a rough year that the complex can be dealt with one step at a time, that there can be depth in something as simple as a melody, beauty within the blues, and that with tomorrow there is always the hope for a sunny day.''
LisaHiltonMusic.com
''Sunny Day Theory''/Ruby Slippers Productions promotion by Jane Dashow/Jazzzdog.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MICHAEL P STRATTON wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Enjoyed your & Arturo's posts. I've done at least a
> couple of shows on this - if you listen to stride
> piano, move into boogie woogie, travel through Count

I think boogie woogie is as least as old as stride and probably even
older. There are reports that in the old labor camps in the south (I
don't mean chain gangs) there was often a piano. The men gambled and
drank while someone played piano in the evenings or on the weekends.
Boogie woogie is said to have come up in that environment.

As far as urban areas are concerned, stride was more popular in NY while
boogie woogie was more popular in Chicago. Both served as the music for
house (rent) parties. In the beginning of the 20th century thousands of
southern african-americans moved to Chicago sincerely thinking they were
moving to the Promised Land of jobs and decent housing. It's likely that
someone brought that boogie woogie with them when they came north!

In addition to the influences that I mentioned before, gospel and other
music of the church was also a major influence.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz