[JPL] Pandora radio on deathbed?

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 18 08:31:47 EDT 2008

I followed the link on this interesting article and
found that it was written by Howard Mandel. Good work.

I interviewed Tim Westergren, the founder of Pandora,
two years ago when he was just getting started. His
conception of the possibility of what Pandora could be
was fascinating and seemed to have some political
ramifications.

As Westergren described it, the music industry in the
U.S. is broken. It is designed to support and promote
the mega hit makers, the Top Ten, with everyone else
struggling to get their music heard.

Westergren said that there is plenty of great music
out there, plenty of great new artists to be
discovered, and plenty of music fans. He was trying to
facilitate a model to bring them together.

He was, in his own words, attempting to create a
'musical middle class'.

Interesting that at a time when the economic middle
class is shrinking that an attempt to establish a
musical middle class would struggle, no?

I don't know who is hurt by Pandora, but I have a good
sense of who feels threatened. Do the big labels worry
about what would happen to them if their services
become unnecessary?

Food for thought.

Mike Stratton
WLNZ