[JPL] MACK AVENUE RECORDS ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF, RENDEZVOUS ENTERTAINMENT

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Mon Aug 18 14:30:20 EDT 2008

MACK AVENUE RECORDS ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF
RENDEZVOUS ENTERTAINMENT

Rendezvous Entertainment Artists Wayman Tisdale, Kirk Whalum,
Jonathan Butler, Brian Simpson & others Move To Artistry Music,
Mack Avenue's Contemporary Jazz & R&B Imprint

DETROIT, MI., August 2008 - Mack Avenue Records, Inc., has announced the
acquisition of the assets of Beverly Hills, California-based Rendezvous
Entertainment, the recording company launched in 2003 by a consortium
consisting of musician/broadcaster Dave Koz, radio executive Frank Cody,
and music business executive Hyman Katz. The acquisition, effective
immediately, was announced by Denny Stilwell, president of Mack Avenue
Records. Mack Avenue Records was founded in the late nineties by Detroit
businesswoman Gretchen Valade and businessman Tom Robinson.

"We are especially excited that Rendezvous Entertainment has chosen Mack
Avenue Records as the future home for their recordings and artists,"
said Stilwell. "In a short period of time, Rendezvous' Hyman Katz, Frank
Cody, and Dave Koz have established an impressive track record for their
company in contemporary jazz.  This recent addition to the Mack Avenue
family adds marquee talent to our roster in the genre and greatly
broadens our existing catalog.  We feel fortunate to have found this
perfect fit at just the right time."

Rendezvous co-founder Dave Koz noted, "My partners Frank Cody, Hyman
Katz and I feel blessed that the vision and integrity of what we started
at Rendezvous is now in the hands of an exciting, forward-thinking group
of folks. We have great respect for the company that Gretchen Valade,
Denny Stilwell and Mack Avenue Records are building. Finding a home that
puts artists and music first was of utmost importance to us, and we have
found that home with Mack Avenue."

Under the new agreement, Mack Avenue will add Rendezvous artists Wayman
Tisdale, Brian Simpson, Kirk Whalum, and Jonathan Butler to its roster.
The company will assume all promotion and marketing efforts under its
Artistry Music Group imprint for Tisdale's brand-new CD, Rebound, which
debuted at Number One on the Billboard Top Contemporary Jazz Albums
chart after its June release.

The acquisition also transfers to Mack Avenue the Rendezvous
Entertainment catalog, which includes contemporary jazz releases by
popular artists like guitarist Marc Antoine, saxophonist Michael
Lington, bassist Kyle Eastwood, and vocalist Patti Austin's Grammy
winning 2007 CD Avant-Gershwin. Also in the catalog are popular
Rendezvous Lounge and other chill and lounge compilations, as well as
the all-star Golden Slumbers series spearheaded by Koz.

Mack Avenue Records entered a new phase of expansion in 2007 with the
acquisition of Los Angeles based Artistry Music. Last year the label
released the Grammy-nominated 2007 CD Downright Upright by noted bassist
and producer Brian Bromberg and Wines & Spirits by neo-soul artist
Rahsaan Patterson, who will also release his first holiday CD, The
Ultimate Gift, in the fall of 2008.

The Mack Avenue roster includes Stanley Jordan, who released the
critically acclaimed State Of Nature in April 2008, as well as trumpeter
Sean Jones, vocalist Sachal Vasandani and six-time Grammy nominee Gerald
Wilson. The label recently signed critically acclaimed saxophonist Kenny
Garrett, whose CD Sketches Of MD: Live At The Iridium is due for release
on September 23rd.