[JPL] A-Trane Playlist August 15th - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 02:09:21 EDT 2008

*A-Trane Playlist August 15th 2008*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Darlene Edwards (Jo Stafford) *:* Jonathan and
Darlene Edwards Greatest Hits * * Corinthian * No * [----]

2 * Locomotion * * * John Coltrane *:* Blue Trane * * Blue Note * yes *[----]
3 * Locomotion * * * Larry Vuckovich Trio *:* High Wall - Real Life Film
Noir * * Tetrachord * yes * [----]
4 * Afro 6/8 Minor Blues * * * Larry Vuckovich Trio *:* High Wall - Real
Life Film Noir * * Tetrachord * yes * [----]

5 * Lida * * * Yamandu Costa *:* Lida * * Sony Brasil * yes * [----]
6 * Ana Terra * * * Yamandu Costa *:* Lida * * Sony Brasil * yes * [----]
7 * Bem Baguala * * * Yamandu Costa *:* Lida * * Sony Brasil * yes * [----]

8 * If You Go Away * * * Jeff Barone *:* Open Up * * JazzedMedia * yes *[----]
9 * Quiet Now * * * Jeff Barone/ Jack Wilkins *:* Open Up * * JazzedMedia *yes
* [----]

10 * Ocean Eyes * * * Adi Braun *:* Live at the Metropolitan Room * * Blue
Rider * No * [MAPL]
11 * On the Street Where You Live * * * Fern Lindzon/George Koller
*:*Moments Like These
* * iatros * No * [-APL]
12 * Jewels * * * Bob Florence Limited Edition w. Julie Andrews *:* Jewels *
* discovery * No * [----]

13 * By the Time I Get to Phoenix * * * Isaac Hayes with the Bar-Kays*:* Hot
Buttered Soul * * Stax * No * [----]

14 * Darben the Redd Foxx * * * Cory Weeds *:* Big Weeds * * Cellar Live *yes
* [MAP-]
15 * Angel Eyes * * * Jim Rotondi *:* Excursions * * Criss Cross * yes *[----]
16 * Modal Issue * * * Cory Weeds *:* Big Weeds * * Cellar Live * yes *[MAP-]

17 * Q Factor * * * Eastwind (George McFetridge/Alan Penfold) *:* Live at
Performance Works * * Eastwind Records * yes * [MAP-]

18 * Darn That Dream * * * Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker *:* Best of
Mulligan-Baker * * Pacific Jazz * yes * [----]
19 * I'm Late, I'm Late * * * Stan Getz/Eddie Sauter *:* Focus * * Verve *yes
* [----]

20 * Blue Horizon * * * Sidney Bechet *:* Sidney Bechet & His Bluenote
Jazzmen * * Blue Note * yes * [----]
21 * I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone * * * Zoom Sims/Jimmy Rowles *:* If
I'm Lucky * * Pablo * yes * [----]
22 * You Don't Know What Love Is * * * Lennie Tristano *:* The New Tristano
* * Atlantic * yes * [----]

23 * Lotus Blossom (Trio) * * * Duke Ellington *:* … and his mother called
him Bill * * RCA * yes * [----]
24 * Willow Weep for Me * * * Clifford Brown *:* With Strings * * Emarcy *yes
* [----]
25 * God Give Me Strength * * * Charles Lloyd *:* Voice In the Night * * ECM
* yes * [----]

26 * Come As You Are * * * Charlie Hunter Trio *:* Bing Bing Bing * * Blue
Note * yes * [----]
27 * Soul Lament * * * Kenny Burrell *:* Midnight Blue * * Blue Note *
yes *[----]
28 * Trouble In Mind * * * Bennie Wallace/Stevie Ray Vaughn *:* Twilight
Time * * Blue Note * yes * [----]

Thanks to my cooperative compatriot Ray Bolen for taking over for the last
hour of the show while I hustled off to catch a ferry (which I didn't
actually get on for 5 hours but that's another story).

Started off with the sinkable Darlene Edwards doing the theme, the late Jo
Stafford by any other name- it's not easy for a good singer to sing that
badly - didn't manage to get back to more G.I. Jo but I'll have some cued up
for next week. Fallen hero tributes as well to Bob Florence and Isaac Hayes
(with a Jimmy Webb mini-opera that doesn't have anything to do with a cake
out in the rain).

Featured a couple of recent releases which I've been enjoying - Larry
Vuckovich's inventive piano trio (sometimes quartet) hasn't strayed too far
from my player lately. Also Jeff Barone's guitar in a couple of settings, an
organ trio with Ron Oswanski on B3 and erstwhile Vancouver-native Rudy
Petschauer on drums, and in a guitar duet with the under-appreciated (and
under-recorded) Jack Wilkins. On other tracks Joe Magnarelli and Mike
Dubaniewicz turn in stellar performances on trumpet and alto respectively
but I wanted to feature the guitars first time out, I'll be back to it. And
Fern Lindzon's disc which I've raved about before.

Upcoming shows - Brazilian Guitar Wizard Yamandu Costa finishing up Festival
Vancouver last Friday, Adi Braun at the Cellar next weekend and Cory Weeds
recording with special guest Jim Rotondi at the Cellar last Friday/Saturday.

Had a good response to posting the archive links last week, here are this
week's mp3 files from the archive, the show starts about 24 minutes into the
Part 1 file:

Part 1 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218838008.mp3
Part 2 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218841608.mp3
Part 3 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218845207.mp3
Part 4 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218848807.mp3

At the end of this coming Friday's show (Aug 22), I'll be subbing for Blues
Boy Bill on the Crossroads vintage blues program from 5:30 to 6:30 pm; I'm
planning to feature the music of guitarists Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang -
Have to Change Keys to Play These Blues and some other gems. Better tune it
up .... Nou__________________
 Posted to:
  http://vancouverjazz.com/forums
  rec.music.bluenote