[JPL] PLAYLISTS - Weekending 17th Aug

Mark Robinson markrobbo at clear.net.nz
Tue Aug 19 06:13:51 EDT 2008

Kia Ora

George Jazz Internet Jazz Radio

Releases added this week on heavy playlist rotation

            Dave Pike - Let The Ministrels Play On (1980 Muse)

            Bobby Previte & The New Bump - Set The Alarm For Monday (2008
Palmetto)

            Genji Sawai & Bacon Egg - Skipjack(1981 Elektric Bird)

            Jazz Liberatorz - Clin D'oeil (2008 Phantom Sound & Vision)

            Steve Turre - Rainbow People (2008 Highnote)

            Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin' (1964 Blue Note)

GeorgeFM – Its A Jazz Thing

Sunday 3rd August 2008

            1. Parallel 37 - There's Nothing Smart About Being Stupid (2008
ODE NZ)

            2. Duke Pearson and Flora Purim - Stormy (1998 Blue Note)

            3. Kool & The Gang Feat. Ricky West - North South East West
(1971 Geffen)

            4. George Nardello - Ooga Mooga (1966 Blue Note)

            5. Herbie Mann - Watermelon Man (1978 Atlantic)

            6. Rusty Bryant - Fire-eater (1971 Prestige)

            7. Rusty Bryant - Friday Night Funk (1973 Prestige)

            8. Soopasoul - It's Just Begun pt 1 (2008 Jalapeno)

            9. Sarah Webster Fabio - Sweet Songs (1976 Folkways)

            10. Stone Alliance - Sweetie Pie (2006 Ether)

            11. Quantic - Westbound Train (2008 Tru Thoughts)

            12. Open Sky Unit - Sunshine Star (1974 Duchesne)

            13. Isaac Hayes - No Name Bar (1971 Stax)

            14. Isaac Hayes - Joy (1973 Stax)

            15. Olu Butterfly - If We Do Nothing (2002 Blackout Studios)

            16. Kind & Kinky Zoo - Hurricane Train (2008 Straightup)

            17. Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones - Right On (1970 Prestige)

            18. Roy Ayres - Des Nude Soul (2000 Urban)

            19. Roy Ayers - Stoned Soul Picnic (1968 Atlantic)

            20. The Crusaders - The Well's Gone Dry (1970 Blue Thumb)

            21. Airto - Encounter (1972 CBS)

            22. Diplomats of Sound - Come In My Kitchen (2008)

            23. The 3 Pieces - Concrete Jungle (2007 Brownsugar)

            24. Silky Spearman - I'm a Good Woman (1970 Context Inc.)

CD Release of the Week

Wayne Escoffery Hopes & Dreams

(2008 ODE Records)

Not only a great saxophonist Wayne Escoffery displays his skill as a
compelling composer/arranger on his latest cd release.

Escoffery has named this band the "Veneration Quartet" and it features one
of my favorite vibes players, Joe Locke. Also in the band is bassist Hans
Glawisching, and drummers Lewis Nash and Jonathan Blake.

The cd opens with the title track "Hopes and Dreams" where Escoffery and
Locke solo with great skill and passion. One of my favorite pieces on the
release is a cover of Charles Mingus' "Noon Night", Escoffery's solo is
sublime, showing his mastery of the horn. The quartet is joined by
Trumpeter/flügelhornist Tom Harrell, with whom Escoffery has worked in the
past, on three tracks. On Harrell's tune "Liaison" the band swings in a
light groove taking turns with excellent solos.

Overall you'd perhaps categorize this in the "Bebop" section of jazz but it
is not merely a hard out blowing session. Escoffery shows wonderful tone and
imagination throughout and shows that jazz is in good hands with a new
generation of blowers.

"I try to write and perform music that is equally intelligent and soulful in
hopes that both musicians and the average listener will enjoy it. I believe
that these tracks hold true to that vision." -Wayne Escoffery

Cheers

Mark Robinson

021762451

MBE P 283