[JPL] David Amram named composer-in-residence for Democratic National Convention

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 19 17:08:06 EDT 2008

     David Amram named composer-in-residence fo Democratic National
Convention

Here is information about the first of several events i will be doing in
Denver, as the composer-in-residence for the Democratic National Convention.

if you want further information about any and all other activities, I will
have my cell phone with all the time (914 299-3497) and my laptop (e-mail
amramdavid at aol.com) during the week in Denver.

It should be a great time !!

After my first August 24 concert, I'll be doing other events throughout the
week in Denver and be back in New York Saturday August 30.

all best

 David
www.davidamram.com

----------------------------------
The National Democratic Convention, Nation Magazine, Rocky Mountain PBS and
the Denver Public Library present

FROM FANNY LOU HAMER TO BARACK OBAMA
A CELEBRATION IN WORDS AND MUSIC OF CIVIL RIGHTS In AMERICA

Representative John Conyers
Composer/conductor/multi-instrumenallst   David Amram
Nation Magazine Editor John Nichols
The Colorado Childen's Chorale

August 24th
Convention Center
Denver Colorado
5-7 pm
FREE ADMISSION

l. Three Songs For America for Baritone and
Orchestra......................................David Amram
(Composed for National Educational Television 1968)
a. John F. Kennedy
b. D. Martin Luthr King
c. Robert F. Kennedy

Steven Taylor  vocalist

ll.   Three songs for Young People.  (1996)
.........................................David Amram
a. Rabbit Song  For Floyd Red Crow Westerman (based on traditional Lakota
round dance melody Mastinchele Wachipi Olwan)
b. Summer Song  For Thelonious Monk
c. Son Montuno  For Machito
The Colorado Children's Chorale, Deborah DeSantis Artisitc Director
Conducted by the composer with the Amram jazz trio.

interview with Representaive John Conyers and John Nichols.

Music Honoring Jesse Jackson's Legacy

Variations on Amazing   Grace- (2002) .................Amram   (based on
Traditional Spiritual)

David Amram Irish double D whistle

i am Somebody   for chorus and   jazz ensemble  (2008).............Amram
(Based on Jesse Jackson's words and statements recorded by people from
Denver. Composed   for the Democratic National Convention 2008 )

Now's the Time (1945)---------------------Charlie Parker
Honoring the civil rights motto "The time is Now", The music by Parker and
his colleagues, who   were at the vanguard of the civil rights movement.

The David Amram trio
Tony Black    drums
Artie Moore    bass
David Amram piano, french horn, flutes, percussion and scat vocals
Special guest Jose Rivera, leader of the Latin Jazz Giants. congas and Latin
percussion