[JPL] Next Week on satellite radio's modern jazz channel Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 10:01:16 EDT 2008

Pat Martino’s Birthday celebration Monday and his fusion history on Friday…spotlight on the City of Brotherly Love…PHILLY!...a brand new hour of funky stuff on Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle…Mark reveals the new Top 20 this weekend on The MOJA Report…a celebration of The Blues in MOJA on Saturday’s Words & Music…5 hot, new things to Premier on Sunday…and business as usual in our Brave, Cool World…come join us!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (25-31 August 2008)

Twice Monday, August 25th, we’ll present another Happy Birthday edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the living masters of jazz guitar, PAT MARTINO! Monday marks the 64th birthday of Mr. Martino, and we’ll find out all about his incredible career from the fusion era to today.  You’ll hear his many collaborations as well as lots of his great solo work and hear Pat’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to PAT MARTINO.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week, Michelle focuses on some of the great groups in the jazzy-jamband genre such as Otis Grove, Liquid Soul, The Slip, Vinyl, The Drop Trio, Gnappy, Lettuce, T.J. Kirk and much more.

This Wednesday and Sunday, we’ll take in some incredible live performances from some of the most famous MOJA masters who hail from the city of Brotherly Love, as we present PHILLY’S IN THE HOUSE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern time/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on Beyond Jazz, and this week, you’ll hear live performances from just a handful of artists who hail from the great musical center that is Philadelphia.  How about some CHRISTIAN McBRIDE, JACO PASTORIUS, STANLEY CLARKE, GROVER WASHINGTON, JR and of course, the birthday boy this week, PAT MARTINO? Well, if that sounds good to you, then come on in the house because PHILLY’S IN THE HOUSE on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. We call it, IT’S IF FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Well, since Pat Martino celebrates his birthday on Monday the 25th we thought we’d also celebrate his considerable contribution to the Fusion era with some of his fusion classics.  In the 1960’s Pat mixed his straight ahead work with the likes of Sonny Stitt and Don Patterson with groove, blues and rock-jazz on sessions with organists Groove Holmes and Jack McDuff as well as fellow Philadelphian, saxophonist Eric Kloss.  Then, he recorded one of the very first fusion recordings with his 1967 solo release, “Hombre.” As you can imagine, there is a lot to choose from, so each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific, enjoy one of Pat Martino’s Greatest Fusion Hits, on this weeks edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark gives us the highlights of the top 20 from the new Beyond Jazz chart for the month and tells you how you can get a copy of the chart yourself.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, August 30th, we'll go to the very source of it all with a special presentation titled BLUE MOJA!  By all accounts, before there was jazz there was the blues.  If it swings, grooves, funks or backbeats it comes from the blues and no one knows this better than the music makers themselves.  You’ll hear thoughts on the Blues and the bluesy side of the music of MOJA Masters Branford Marsalis, David Sanborn, Cassandra Wilson, Brian Auger, George Benson, Grover Washington, Jr., Joe Zawinul, Joey DeFrancesco, Nicholas Payton and Ronny Jordan. Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).   It's BLUE MOJA on Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
We’ve got five great releases to spring on you this Sunday, August 31st, another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.

First, there are few who have ever played the alto sax any better than the great David Sanborn, who shows off his distinctive sound on a soulful, bluesy, brilliant new CD titled “Here & Gone.” He conceived this project as a salute to his heroes but instead the spotlight is on his great talent and his place in MOJA history.  By the way, you’ll hear some very special guests like Wallace Roney, Derek Trucks & Eric Clapton on “Here & Gone!”

Then, it’s more, great, new saxophone work, this time from two tenor players.  First, one of the true inventive seekers in jazz, Greg Osby, gives us a new one titled “9 Levels.” Now we’ve always known Greg was one deep dude, but this time he bases his new music on the Zen like principles of “The 9 Levels Of Humanity.” Get ready for a meaningful experience.  You’ll get more of the same, playing at a high level and creative compositions, on the new CD “Sacred Machines” by New York based saxophonist Glenn White and a bunch of New York’s finest players.

And lastly, we’ll take you down South to hear a couple of artists with refreshing new releases. First, from the fertile Atlanta scene, comes a master of the lap steel and guitars in general, Steve Cunningham, joined by an artist we’ve heard quite a bit from recently, Tom Grose, and other fine Atlanta players, on Steve’s new CD titled, appropriately enough, “Slide.” The lap steel, know for it’s place in more of a country setting, turns into quite a unique instrument in a jazz setting when played by Mr. Cunningham. Then it’s Nashville-based trombonist Oscar Utterstrom, and his new CD "Home." Now, Oscar’s original home was Sweden, but after attending Berklee in Boston he found that he fit in very well in the vibrant Nashville scene and that there was plenty of jazz to be involved in.  When you hear “Home” you’ll know what we mean.

So listen for these new five  new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, August 31st,  another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.