[JPL] PLAYLISTS - weekending 24th Aug 2008 George Jazz and Its A Jazz Thing

Mark Robinson markrobbo at clear.net.nz
Mon Aug 25 06:31:26 EDT 2008

Kia Ora,

George Jazz Internet Jazz Radio

Releases added this week on heavy playlist rotation

            Azymuth feat. Sabrina Malheiros & Roberto Menescal - Pra Zé
(2008 Far Out)

            Joyce With Dori Caymmi - Rio - Bahia (2008 Far Out)

            Clara Moreno Featuring Celso Fonseca - Meu Samba Torto (2008 Far
Out)

            Broadbent Chisholm Brown & Gibson - Fine & Dandy (1991 ODE NZ)

            Pacific Eardrum - Pacific Eardrum (1977 )

            B.J. Jansen & Conjura - The Movement Vol 1 (2008)

            Art Pepper - Mosaic Select CD 1, 2 & 3 (2004 Mosaic)

            Blue Train - Fun In The World (2001 NZ self release)

            Court Mast - Sausalito Summer (2008)

            Ian Shaw - Lifejacket (2008 Linn Records)

            Jazz In The Present Tense - Jazz In The Present Tense (1996 Trip
NZ)

            John Bell Trio - Spirals (2004 self release)

            Laurindo Almeida & Gray Bartlett - Friends (1994 ODE Records NZ)

            Mark De Clive-Lowe - First Thoughts (1997 Trip NZ)

            Phil Broadhurst - The Road Ahead (2003 self release NZ)

            Russ Nolan & The Kenny Werner Trio - With You in Mind (2008
Rhinoceruss)

            The Ronnie Ross Quintet - Stompin'  (1958 Ember)

GeorgeFM – Its A Jazz Thing Sunday 24th August 2008

Very Special 4 hour Disco, Soul n Jazz Funk Show with DJ Pommie Nick n Me

            1. MFSB - TSOP (1976 Philly)

            2. The Ritchie Family - The Best Disco In Town (1976 Marlin)

            3. Sister Sledge - We Are Family (1979 Atlantic)

            4. George Benson - Love Ballad (1978 WB)

            5. Third World - Now That We've Found Love (1978 Island)

            6. Narada Michael Walden - I Should Have Loved Ya (1984 WB)

            7. Gary's Gang - Knock Me Out (1982 Arista)

            8. First Light - Time Machine (1978 A&M)

            9. Hi Tension - British Hustle (1977 Island)

            10. Light of the World – Swingin (1977 Ensign)

            11. Oneness of Juju - Every Way But Loose (1982 Kudu)

            12. Carrie Lucas - Dance With You 1980

            13. Brass Construction – Moovin’ (1984 Streetsounds)

            14. Teddy Pendergrass - You Can't Hide From Yourself (1979
Philly)

            15. Archie Bell and the Drells - Don't Let Love Get You Down
(1976 Portrait)

            16. Tom Browne - Funkin' for Jamaica (1978 Arista)

            17. The Temptations feat Rick James - Standing On The Top (1982
Motown)

            18. Dan Hartman - Relight My Fire (1984 CBS)

            19. GQ - Disco Nights(1982 Arista)

            20. Maze - Joy & Pain (1984 Capitol Recordings)

            21. Sherrick - Call Me (1987 WB)

            22. Donald Byrd - Dominoes (2006 Blue Note)

            23. William De Vaughan - Blood Is Thicker Than Water 2005

            24. Fat Larry's Band - Looking For Love 1980

            25. Funky Company - Let's Groove

            26. Steve Arrington - Dancin' in the key of life

            27. Rahni Harris - Six Million Steps (1977 Inspirational Sounds)

            28. Kleeer - Open Your Mind (1984 Atlantic)

            29. Salsoul Orchestra – Getaway (1977 Salsoul)

            30. Billy Paul - Bring The Family Back (1976 Philly Records)

            31. Odyssey - Back To My Roots (1977 CBS)

            32. The Originals - Down to Love Town

            33. Johnny Hammond - Star Bourne (1975 Salvation)

            34. Pulse – Sunshine (2005 Soul Bro Records)

            35. Mac Davis - I'm Just In Love (2005 Soul Bro Records)

            36. Roy Ayres - Can't You See Me (2000 Polydor)

            37. Gwen McRae - Keep The Fires Burning

            38. The Whispers – It’s A Love Thing (1978)

            39. McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stopping the Slough (1978
Philly)

Jazz Release of the Week

Steve Turre - Rainbow People (2008 High Note Records)

The first time I saw Steve Turre was in Lionel Hampton's Big Band sometime
in the mid 1980's. I was still living in London at the time and frequented
the JVC Jazz Festival gigs on the South Bank. To this day Lionel Hampton is
a big favorite of mine, I have not seen a big band packed full of amazing
players as I did within that band through the 80s and 90s. I remember Steve
Turre as an amazingly energetic musician and I have followed his career
since those days. In Lionel's band his trombone solos were often followed by
rapturous applause.

This latest release on the Highnote label Steve gives it all to nine tunes.
Turre displays the full range of emotions from hot buttered low down blues
on the tune "Brother Ray" to full on bop on the up-tempo "Para El
Comandante" to sultry Latin infused niceness on "Midnight in Madrid".
Bebop-ish-ness is not missing on the release either and the title track
fills those needs        adequately.

Turre has surrounded himself with a stella band as well; Kenny Garret,
Mulgrew Miller, Sean Jones, Peter Washington and Ignacio Berroa pull out all
the stops to make this one of the most exciting jazz releases of 2008 so far

Cheers

Mark Robinson

021762451

MBE P 283