[JPL] The Jazz Session #39: Donny McCaslin

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Aug 25 08:30:12 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

The Jazz Session passed 100,000 downloads last week! Thanks for your
support!

This week's episode is...

THE JAZZ SESSION #39: DONNY MCCASLIN. Jason Crane interviews saxophonist
and composer Donny McCaslin about his new record, Recommended Tools
(Greenleaf Music, 2008). The new album is McCaslin’s statement in the
saxophone trio format, and he’s joined by two of New York’s finest —
bassist Hans Glawischnig and drummer Johnathan Blake. McCaslin shines on
this album of original compositions, plus Billy Strayhorn’s Isfahan.
(NOTE: McCaslin was on The Jazz Session #29 last year in an interview
that featured an in-depth look at his life and work.)

LISTEN:

<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/08/24/the-jazz-session-39-donny-mccaslin/>

Here's how to listen:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

NEXT WEEK: Guitarist Joel Harrison

COMING UP: Henry Grimes, Brian Blade, David Sanborn, Satoko Fujii, Lee
Shaw, Erin Bode ... and more!

--NEW!--

TJS CAUSE OF THE MONTH(S): Musicians' Village in New Orleans

The tragedy in New Orleans was a turning point in my life, even though
I’ve never been there. For me, it was the single most glaring example of
what’s wrong with our government and right with our nation. I’ve been
featuring New Orleans charities — particularly those that deal with
cultural restoration — in my Cause of the Month for quite a while now.
I’m proud to announce the newest addition:

Musicians’ Village was conceived by New Orleans natives (and jazz
musicians) Harry Connick, Jr. and Branford Marsalis. Musicians’ Village
will provide a home for both the artists who have defined the city’s
culture and the sounds that have shaped the musical vernacular of the world.

Please help these folks do what they do by visiting their Web site:
<http://www.nolamusiciansvillage.com/>

And keep an eye on http://thejazzsession.com in the upcoming weeks for a
show featuring residents of Musicians' Village.

Thanks.

Jason

--
Jason Crane