[JPL] Marvin Gaye

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 13:26:23 EDT 2008

Even after he'd won his creative independence with "What's Going On" and
commissioned a set of lush ballad orchestrations from pianist-composer
Bobby Scott, Gaye compulsively re-recorded his own performances, unsure
that he possessed the vocal maturity to get the job done. The results,
finally released in 1997 as the posthumous album "Vulnerable," show he
needn't have worried.

 folks: if you've never heard this recording you are in for a SPECIAL treat.  not only will it fit nicely into most jazz programs, it ranks with his very finest work, and while not being the epic statement that the timeless "What's Going On" is, it is in its own way a timeless classic--and unfairly
an overlooked and nearly forgotten recording that will make you say "wow!"

if you are even slightly a marvin fan, run and get your hands on this one!
like the man from the suits store sez: "i guarantee it!"

ricky schultz

www.jazzconsultant.com

www.ResonanceRecords.org