[JPL] Marvin Gaye

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 14:38:46 EDT 2008

Many didn't know that Marvin was basically a jazz drummer while his career was developing. That's what he did first. His first stint with Motown was as a drummer...playing on many sessions...including Stevie Wonder's "Fingertips" Pt 2. I think that was Stevie's first date. His first solo release on Motown was "The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye," which was bascially a jazz standards recording. Now that's one to try and find but I think it's been long out of print but may have be re-issued. Wonderful record but Gordy wanted him to deal with R&B. His heart...particularly during that time was in jazz.

Jae Sinnett