[JPL] Jazz fest to honor Motown superstar Marvin Gaye

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Tue Aug 26 14:48:24 EDT 2008

Ed,

There are many of similarities between Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra and
Marvin Gaye.  Check out Lady Day's "Lady In Satin," Ole Blue Eye's "In
The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning," and Gaye's "Vulnerable" and it will
become evident.  I've programmed "Vulnerable" going back to my days at
WCLK-FM in Atlanta, GA without hesitation or apology.  Again, Ricky
Schultz is correct to suggest it for the uninitiated.

Berry Gordy exercised a great deal of control over what Motown artists
would record and perform.  Many of the vocalists and musicians come from
jazz backgrounds.  If you live in Detroit it would be difficult not to.
Gaye wasn't marketed as a jazz artist but it ran through his being in a
very strong way.

Not only is Gaye being honored at this year's Detroit Jazz Fest, he was
also honored at this years Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland along with Billie
Holiday and Frank Sinatra.

Throw away your box and you'll realize that Gaye was more than just an
R&B heart throb.

Aloha,

Bobby