[JPL] Joe Lovano - "Symphonica"

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 20:49:55 EDT 2008

Every once in a while a recording will come along that challenges the jazz programming concepts of what we do here at WHRV. Too deep artistically for what jazz radio has become in general but too deep for us to ignore it. We can follow the Jazzweek chart to see if the first part of the previous sentence stands correct.

"Symphonica" is simply brilliant. Joe Lovano sounds about as good as I've ever heard him and Mike Abene once again proves he's one of the great arrangers of anytime. Lovano's compositions fit perfectly within Abene's vision of direction and his arrangement of Mingus'"Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love" is stunningly beautiful. Also, having the WDR Big Band to use as his arranging vehicle makes it about as good as it gets. I'm not hearing a jazz orchestra that is better today.

Mike Abene has total arranging freedom because this band can do anything he wants them to do. Considering his imagination...that's asking a lot!Then throw in the orchestra...wow. It's a pleasure to listen to this recording because of the extraordinary musicianship and sonic beauty. This forward thinking CD reflects the sophisticated nature of what jazz should be...in composition, improvisation, arranging and concept. It will definitely get played on WHRV.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM