[JPL] Next Week on Satellite Radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 18:27:20 EDT 2008

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (1-7 September 2008)

Twice on Monday, September 1st, we’ll present another edition of MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the great keyboardists in modern jazz, LARRY GOLDINGS! It’s our way of celebrating Larry’s 40th birthday that fell on August 12th. You’ll hear his solo work on piano and organ, his work with his trio and quartet, and his collaborations with artists like Maceo Parker, Jon Hendricks, John Scofield and more, all interspersed with some of Larry’s own words to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to LARRY GOLDINGS.

Last year a major milestone was reached in the history of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino when she presented her 100th show.  It was Ground-breaking, Earth-shaking and, yes, Booty shakin’ too! To do justice to the importance of this great moment Michelle  reached out to all the artists in the jazzy-jamband genre and asked for their input and comments.  It became a monster and turned into a 3-hour extravaganza.  Well this week we’ll give you Hour One of that special featuring comments and music from Karl Denson and Bert Lams of California Guitar Trio as well as music from Greyboy Allstars, Stanton Moore, Mike Dillon’s Go Go Jungle, Skerik, and The DJ Williams Projekt. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific and this week enjoy Hour One of Michelle’s 100th Jammin’ Jazz Show!

In the winter of 2002, Charlie Hunter rented out a warehouse in North Philadelphia and held a private party. The occasion? The recording of Charlie's first ever DVD. Filmed by Hollywood's 1K Studios, the 9 camera shoot captured Charlie Hunter in the most intimate of ways, showcasing his amazing talent in solo, trio and quintet formation so this Wednesday and Sunday, we’ll take you back to Michelle Sammartino’s home town, the city of Brotherly Love, as we present CHARLIE HUNTER LIVE IN PHILLY on LIVE @ BJ'S! Listen Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern time/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific and you’ll hear Charlie and one of his greatest bands ever including John Ellis, Gregoire Maret (greg-WAH mah-RAY), Curtis Fowlkes, and Derek Philips doing some of his best tunes like Chanqui, Whoop Ass & Mestre Tata. Come join us for CHARLIE HUNTER LIVE IN PHILLY on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark is joined by Russ Davis as the guys take in another great show, this time heading to the Nokia Theater on Times Square in New York for the SMV show featuring Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten.  Listen as Mark & Russ give you comments from the hall including a visit with bassist & vocalist Esperanza Spalding who was the lead-on act.  It’s a night of great bassists and Mark & Russ take you there on this week’s THE MOJA REPORT!

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, September 6th, we'll take it to an all time low with a special presentation titled SMV: MASTERS OF THE LOW FREQUENCIES!  No, we’re not going to go negative with the show, instead we’ll spend the day with three MOJA Masters, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten, who have taken their instrument, the bass, to new heights. We’ll talk to Stanley, Marcus & Victor about the wonders of their instrument and enjoy cuts from their solo releases as well as their incredible collaboration “Thunder,” under the name of SMV, for Stanley, Marcus & Victor of course! Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's SMV: MASTERS OF THE LOW FREQUENCIES on Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz