[JPL] Tisdale has lower part of right leg amputated

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Aug 28 09:26:18 EDT 2008

  Tisdale has lower part of right leg amputated

By Jenni Carlson
Staff Writer
Wayman Tisdale's lengthy battle with cancer has taken another turn.

The Oklahoma basketball legend had the lower part of his right leg
amputated Monday.

Diagnosed early last year with cancer, he has been fighting it for the
past 18 months. The surgery to remove the lower part of his leg is
expected to eradicate the disease.

"I have complete faith that, with the Lord's blessings, this surgery
will eliminate the cancer from my body," Tisdale said in a statement.

In February 2007, Tisdale suffered a broken right leg when he fell down
a flight of stairs at his Los Angeles home. While examining that injury,
doctors discovered a cancerous cyst just below his knee.

After more than a month of inconclusive biopsies, tests finally
determined the mass was malignant. Tisdale was diagnosed with
osteosarcoma, the most common type of malignant bone cancer.

Tisdale had the cyst removed, had knee replacement surgery, then began
chemotherapy.

"The hardest thing for me ... was when the doctor told me that I was
going to have to take it easy for a while," Tisdale said in an interview
earlier this year. "I was like, 'I don't know how to take it easy.' "

Tisdale rose to stardom at Tulsa Washington High School, then became a
three-time All-American at Oklahoma. A member of the 1984 U.S. Olympic
team that won gold, the versatile big man spent 12 years in the NBA.

He never suffered a major injury during his basketball career.

After retiring from the NBA in 1997, Tisdale turned his attention from
basketball to music. The smooth jazz guitarist composed and recorded
music and toured around the world.

His cancer forced him to cancel 40 or 50 tour dates last year, but
around Christmas, Tisdale returned to the stage.

Now, he must take off time to recover again. He hopes to start playing
shows again later this fall and plans to host the "Smooth Jazz Cruise"
next January.

Tisdale's latest album, "Rebound," debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's
contemporary jazz chart, and his current single, "Throwin' It Down," is
No. 6.

According to his publicist Earl Cole, Tisdale is resting now at his home
in Tulsa.

"There's a lot more music inside me," Tisdale said, "and once I am back
on my feet, I look forward to sharing my joy with my fans, friends and
fellow musicians."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations