[JPL] Garaj Mahal

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 16:20:08 EDT 2008

"Hotel" is a serious track Mike. Out of that "Thrust" vibe with Herbie. When I get my show back after the convention I will jump on that one first. I think this is one of those recordings that can cross over to a straight ahead audience. From a programming perspective I'm not so sure doing that with a recording like this hurts. Some in radio do.

An example would be The Dixon/Rhyne Project. I played "Mel's Groove" in a set of four with Joe Henderson, Derrick Gardner and Cassandra Wilson and the only calls were...."who played that funk track?" Happens all the time. Same with the title track "Thunder" with Stanley, Marcus and Victor Wooden. That's what they tend to react to more...not the straight ahead things so it's obvious it doesn't chase them away. I think they respond because it's out of the norm of the sound that they've come to expect on jazz radio. Another release that I think has great cross over appeal is the new Kate McGarry on Palmetto. I think these recordings are healthy for jazz radio but of course that's my opinion.

Jae Sinnett