[JPL] Obama rally will make big jazz fest day even bigger

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Aug 28 20:27:08 EDT 2008

  Obama rally will make big jazz fest day even bigger

By CHRIS CHRISTOFF . FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER . August 28, 2008

As if Detroit's jazz festival won't pack enough people around Detroit's
riverfront this weekend, Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama
will lure even more Monday if he speaks to a Labor Day rally downtown,
as part of a two-day campaign through Michigan.

Campaign officials are choosing a site for the Detroit rally to follow
the traditional Labor Day parade down Woodward Avenue.

The thought of an Obama invasion near the jazz festival has festival
director Terri Pontremoli both excited and nervous.

"It's a huge event anyway, we have six stages, hundreds of thousands of
people," Pontremoli said. "This will force a lot of things to happen
earlier."

And she'd have to deal with the U.S. Secret Service and its need to
secure the area around Obama's stage, which could affect the flow of
people to the jazz festival. The festival will start at noon Monday.

"We can't have something that completely throws off our schedule of
performances," Pontremoli said. "If it's done early enough, it won't be
an issue."

She said Obama probably doesn't know he's going to land in the middle of
a jazz festival. She said she read that Obama is a big fan of jazz icon
John Coltrane, which is fitting because the festival's theme this year
is "A Love Supreme," the title of a Coltrane album.

Obama's rally in Battle Creek will be held at the C.O. Brown Stadium in
Bailey Park, 1392 Capital Ave NE. Gates for the rally will open at 5 p.m.

The event is free and open to the public, but participants should RSVP
at www.mi.barackobama.com <http://www.mi.barackobama.com>.

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations