[JPL] Keep Standing

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 09:08:17 EDT 2008

Recently I received a review copy of the CD "Keep Standing" by Bill Cosby &
The Hilton Ruiz Ensemble. There's a sticker affixed to the front of the
jewel box that reads "This CD sold exclusively online at
http://www.billcosby.com"

Does anyone know the back story on this release? It is apparently Hilton
Ruiz's last recording session. There's a quite lovely, slow, rhapsodic
version of "Bright Moments" included on the program.

As of yet I have not played this on my radio show. Why? Because the
following credit in the liners gives me pause: "Bill Cosby - Arranger,
Conducter, Composer". Composer? Of "Bright Moments"? WTF? Rahsaan does not
receive credit anywhere and there is no ASCAP/BMI info included. And last I
checked Cosby didn't write "What's New" either...

Does anyone know whether Rah's estate is receiving royalties from this disc?
Or Hilton's estate?

I hesitate programming this admittedly very nice music on the air until I
find out whether it is an "authorized" release.