[JPL] jazz89KUVO turns 23 years young today

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Fri Aug 29 14:00:32 EDT 2008

On this, the day Charles Christopher Parker, the immortal Yardbid was born
in 1985, jazz89KUVO began its first ever transmission from a humble studio
in an old downtown building with egg crates lining the wall. Now we have an
amazing facility with an performance studio including a Bösendorfer piano,
fabulous on-air and production studios and a national reputation for top
quality sound as Colorado's first HD station.

Talking about Bösendorfer, 2 endorsers, pianist Peter martin and our own
home girl Dianne Reeves performed for a private function of the
Congressional Black Caucus Institute last nigt form a penthouse atop the
Downtown Hyatt Regency that overlooks the Convention Center, the Denver
Center for the Performance Arts that has the only remaning building from the
1908 DNC as part of the opera house, the Pepsi Center and just across the
1-25 FWY, Mile High Invesco Field where we could see the jumbotron and all
the fireworks, as we gazed to the west and the sunset over the purple Rocky
Mountains majesty on a most beautiful evening, one of the attendees hailed
it as an omen, the setting of the presnt administration.

Dianne was inspired by the events of the football stadium and flipped the
script on her songs changing the lyrics to correspond to the historic night,
this was particularly evident on her song in dedication to her mama, Today
Will Be A Good Day as well as in her rendition of Better Days. Besides her
usual accompanist Peter Martin on piano, Robert Hurst-bass, Herlin
Riley-drums and Romero Lumbambo-guitar were in her band, they left today for
Detroit, where Dianne was born to be a part of the Detroit Jazz festival.

Arturo