[JPL] Next Week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 1 15:02:01 EST 2008

New Pat Metheny and a Saturday Words & Music with the 17-time Grammy Award winner…Happy Birthday to Joshua Redman (Mr. Grammy Nominee himself!)…A Mardi Gras Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle Sammartino she calls FAT TUESDAY!...Live Scandinavian Jazz on “Live @ BJ’s”…and four new releases to premier this week too!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (4-10 February, 2008)

This Monday, February 4th we’ll present another Happy Birthday edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of the young master of the saxophone, JOSHUA REDMAN just three days after his birthday. You’ll hear all about growing up as the son of jazz legend Dewey Redman in Berkley, California, his academic career at Berklee and Harvard in Boston, his arrival on the jazz scene in New York and his emergence as one of the greats of his generation.  Plus you’ll hear a full hour of his wonderful music and Joshua’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, this week featuring JOSHUA REDMAN on XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.   Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eas tern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle takes you to her favorite city, New Orleans, for a Mardi Gras celebration she calls FAT TUESDAY!  You’ll hear New Orleans greats like Professor Longhair, Dr. John, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Galactic, Bonerama and more.

This week, it’s SCANDNAVIAN FESTIVAL TIME on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, we’ll take you to the wonderful, musical lands up North…Sweden and Denmark, for highlights from the Swedish Jazz Celebration in the Northern city of Lulea and the 2007 Copenhagen Jazz Festival. You’ll hear some of America’s jazz greats, Randy Brecker, Tim Hagans and Peter Erskine playing alongside some of Europe’s finest including The Norbotten Big Band.  It’s Acoustic as well as Electric and it’s very alive. It’s SCANDNAVIAN FESTIVAL TIME, a trip to last year’s festivals in Sweden and Denmark, this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eas tern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark presents another edition of his re-occurring  feature titled “Under The Radar” as Mark plays some of the under-appreciated artists from two major music centers…Chicago and Vancouver.  You’ll hear Canadian group Metalwood and bassist Chris Tarry, as well as some of Chicago’s local heroes like John Mouder, Grazyna Auguscik, Nicole Mitchell and John McLean.

On Saturday, February 9th, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC,” a show titled "A DAY TRIP WITH PAT METHENY” as Russ Davis sits down with the great guitarist, composer, bandleader, world-traveller and 17-time Grammy Award Winner, Pat Metheny, to see exactly what’s been up the past year with the busiest man in show biz. Of course we’ll talk to him about his great new trio record "DAY TRIP” with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez and debut this great new work on Saturday as well.  We’ll also find out about everything from how his two young boys are growing up, his collaboration with Brad Mehldau, the passing of his good friend Michael Brecker, The foundation in his family’s name in his home town of Lee’s Summit, Missouri and even how to correctly pronounce the name of the state. It’s gonna be some big fun. Each hour begins with conversation followed by music and it all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s “A DAY TRIP WITH PAT METHENY”…this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
We have 4 new releases to premier this Sunday, February 10th, another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz!

First, the latest from master guitarist, composer, bandleader and 17-time Grammy Award winner Pat Metheny with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez on the great new trio recording titled “Day Trip.”

You’ll also hear the latest from Ben Allison & Man Size Safe on a new CD titled “Little Things Run The World.”

The all-star band known as Metro which features Chuck Loeb, Mitchel Forman and Will Lee, gives us their new one titled “Express.”

Then we’ll close it out with a young sax-man from Buffalo, Eric Crittenden and some rare, new sides he’s advanced to us titled “Bsides-N-Beats.”

So listen for this hot, new MOJA beginning at 5 PM Eastern/2 PM Pacific, on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour re sponding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.