[JPL] Before & After

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 21:50:58 EST 2008

Jeff, Bobby thanks for your words. The B&A is interesting indeed. Just when you think you know much about this music you're quickly reminded that there is still much more to learn...at least from my perspective. Larry played me some interesting pieces that certainly made me think. At times it's easy to guess who is playing and others not but what is not so easy is talking about what you're listening to... off the cuff at that moment...coming into it cold...keeping in mind what you say is for publication. YIKES!. One right after the other. It's humbling really. I think the way it's set up with the link is that you can put yourself in that position of doing the test...without reading who it is. I think for fun you should try it.. talking about the music as you're listening... as though you're doing the B&A. That's the way it works. You can get a feel as what it's like although when you're in the situation it's very dfferent. Interesting pressure and a little stressful. I
 didn't have a clue what Larry was going to play for me.

  In reference to Animal and Buddy...Animal got smoked and he knew it. I think he fluffed Buddy with his yelling and Buddy took it up about two notches and played him under the table. Same with Mr. Ed. He got smoked too.

  Jae Sinnett

"Jackson, Bobby" <Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Pacific Coast Jazz

Two new Pacific Coast Jazz albums are in stores now and on radio:

Roberta Donnay's ''What's Your Story'' - ''...a major new find... highly recommended'' with 5 albums behind her and Orrin Keepnews by her side, this album is destined for a Grammy. She performs across the nation and in Europe. www.robertadonnay.com

The Bruce Eskovitz Jazz Orchestra's ''Invitation'' to you is to listen and capture this ''...hard swinging, straight-ahead, good-time modern jazz.'' This CD release party is at The Jazz Bakery in LA on February 17. www.bruceeskovitz.com

Radio promo by New World 'N' Jazz, Neal Sapper, 415-453-1558 & Matt Hughes, 732-835-5050. Label: Pacific Coast Jazz, 858-484-8609 Email donna at pacificcoastjazz.com check out all of our artists at www.pacificcoastjazz.com

Pacific Coast Jazz wishes all of our friends a great 2008.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jeff,

Thanks for this link. What a fun thing to do on-line! I enjoyed
listening and playing along as well. Larry, this is a really nice tool
you're doing for Jazz Times, and Jae I enjoyed your comments.

Bobby Jackson

[...]

It's a terrific Before And After. As most of us who know Jae are aware,
his knowledge of his instrument and the history of the music is
extensive and this is quite apparent throughout the listening session. I
found it to be one of the most entertaining and informative in quite
some time. Kudos to Jae

Jeff Turton
WFNX

From: Larry Appelbaum
> This week's sponsor: Pacific Coast Jazz

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>

> Jae Sinnett is too modest to shout it out, but he is the subject of a
Before &
> After piece in the latest JazzTimes. It's also available on the JT
website,
> which allows you to listen to excerpts of the clips Jae is commenting
on:

http://jazztimes.com/columns_and_features/before_and_after/index.cfm?art
ist=51&a
> ction=about_the_artist.