[JPL] next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 09:12:57 EST 2008

Happy Birthday Bill Evans (super saxman of MOJA of course!)…A Valentine’s Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle…rare, live stuff from Virginia…and to top it all off, A BLACK HISTORY MONTH celebration of AFRICA on Words & Music.  Enjoy and spread the word!  XM 72-Beyond Jazz…this is where the groove lives!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (11-17 February, 2008)

This Monday, February 11th we’ll present another Happy Birthday edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of the award-winning master of the saxophone, BILL EVANS just two days after his birthday. We’ll hear Bill’s whole musical story including his work with Miles Davis, John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu as well as his many all-star collaborations and his award-winning solo work including his Grammy-nominated release “SOULGRASS,” and Bill’s own comments to shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, this week featuring BILL EVANS on XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino for an hour of music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle gives you her annual Valentine’s Week edition of the show with an hour of tunes all about kissin’, huggin’ & lovin’ from the likes of  DJ Logic, Freed Haque, Soulive, Donald Byrd & more.

This week, it’s a Virginia Jam as we present MODERN GROOVE SYNDICATE Live @ The Outback Lodge on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, we’ll take you to Charlottesville, VA to a funky little spot called The Outback Lodge to hear a funky little band from Richmond with a red hot new CD.  It’s The Modern Groove Syndicate, celebrating the success of their latest release “Ms. Popular.” You’ll hear some of the music from “Ms. Popular” in a great hour of Virginia groove. It’s MODERN GROOVE SYNDICATE Live @ The Outback Lodge, this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eas tern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark presents a special show that’s part of our Beyond Jazz Black History Month Celebration. He’ll sit down with drummer Vince Wilburn, Jr., the nephew of possibly the most influential African-America jazz man of all time, Miles Davis. Mark and Vince talk about how Vince helped coax his uncle out of retirement in the 1980’s plus they’ll play some of the “new” Miles music from 2007 and look forward to exciting future Miles projects too.

This year we’ll continue a Beyond Jazz tradition with another special BLACK HISTORY MONTH WORDS & MUSIC. This year we focus of the source of it all with the special title DESTINATION MOTHERLAND, featuring meaningful conversation with twelve of the most influential artists in modern jazz, expounding on the incredible, musical continent of Africa, their impressions of its place in jazz history and it’s effect on them personally. You’ll hear from Miles Davis, Angelique Kidjo, Stefon Harris, Jean-Luc Ponty, Joe Zawinul, Dianne Reeves, members of New Cool Collective, Dee Dee Bridgewater, John Scofield, Richard Bona, Jimmy Haslip of The Yellowjackets, Herbie Hancock and Mike Stern. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) on Saturday, February 16th. It’s DESTINATION MOTHERLAND, A special BLACK HISTORY MONTH edition of WORDS & MUSIC on XM 72-Beyond Jazz.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour res ponding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.