[JPL] PLAYLISTS from WKPS--PSU's College Radio Jazz

S. Shyam Sundar sss12 at psu.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:24:10 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and thought I'll begin my
participation by posting this year's playlists of
my Wed morning jazz show on WKPS--The Lion 90.7
FM, the college radio station of Penn State
University. I am a professor of communications at
the University and run the jazz programming for
our student radio station.

We have a two-hour jazz show called Jazz Spectrum
every weekday morning from 9 until 11 am EST. It
is the only daytime jazz show in central
Pennsylvania and attracts listeners on the Web
from Penn Staters and others globally.

On Wednesdays, I DJ the show myself and try to
spin new tracks and works of musicians playing on
the East Coast that week.We also play requests a
lot. I've listed below all the Wednesday
playlists from this year. If anyone would like
more information, I'll be happy to provide.

I look forward to being part of a vibrant community of jazz lovers!

Shyam
Wednesday DJ & Director: The Jazz Spectrum (weekdays 9-11 am EST )
WKPS, The Lion 90.7 FM
Listen Live at: http://www.thelion.fm

For Playlists, go to:
http://www.thelion.fm/forum/ (Click on Jazz
Spectrum and go to Show Playlists)
For Jazz Info: http://www.thelion.fm/blogs/jazz
Contact me: jazz at psu.edu
Mailing Address: S. Shyam Sundar,
The Jazz Spectrum, WKPS-The Lion 90.7 FM
HUB-Robeson Center, Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=354&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a>Playlist
for January 2, 2008

  "A Whole New You" from BURNIN' LIVE AT THE JAZZ
STANDARD by Pete Zimmer Quintet (Tippin' Records,
2007)
"Salt Peanuts" from WHAT'S UP? THE VERY TALL BAND
by Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown & Milt Jackson
(Telarc, 2007)
"jardin d'hiver" featuring Stacey Kent from THE
LYRIC by Jim Tomlinson ((Token Productions, 2005)
"In Just Time" from LATEST OUTLOOK by The Stryker/Slagle Band (Zoho, 2007)
"Peepin'" from MR. SHING-A-LING by Lou Donaldson (Blue Note, 1997)
"Cis" from LOCKED & LOADED by Odean Pope (Half Note, 2006)
"Caribe" from THE ART OF RHYTHM by Tom Harrell (BMG, 1998)
"Free Latin" from ITALUBA by Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez (Pimienta, 2004)
"Cross-Eyed" from TORQUE by Brian Groder (Latham, 2006)
"21st Century" from RUMBA PALACE by Arturo Sandoval (Telarc, 2007)
"Noticing The Moment" from A DAY LIKE THIS by New York Voices (MCG Jazz, 2007)
"Bag's Groove" from BAHIA BAND by Mike Ellis (Alpha Pocket Records, 2007)
"Killer Joe" from HEROES by The Roger Kellaway Trio (IPO Recordings, 2006)
"No Myth" from EDGE by Jason Kao Hwang (Asian Improv Records, 2006)

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=357&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a>Playlist
for January 9, 2008

  "Hedwig's Theme" from DEMOCRACY by Kenny Werner (Half Note, 2006)
"Corcovado" from THE LYRIC by Jim Tomlinson
featuring Stacey Kent (Token Productions, 2005)
"Equinox" from PURSUANCE by Kenny Garrett (Warner Bros, 1996)
"So, This Is Jazz, Huh?" from THICK IN THE SOUTH:
SOUL GESTURES IN SOUTHERN BLUE VOL 1 by Wynton
Marsalis (Wounded Bird Records, 1991)
"Lutetia" from WORLDS by Joe Lovano Wind Ensemble (Evidence, 1995)
"Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)" from MOMENTS by
Catherine Dupuis (Bearheart Records, 2001)
"Raga Bop" from BE THE CHANGE by Prasanna (Susila Music, 2004)
"Soul Intro/The Chicken" from THE ESSENTIAL JACO
PASTORIUS by Jaco Pastorius (Sony BMG, 2007)
"Chennai" from THE HIDDEN LAND by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones (Columbia, 2006)
"Esoteric Advent (Turkish Coffee)" from BONE
STRUCTURE by Wycliffe Gordon & Ron Westray
(Atlantic, 1996)
"Camino Del Oso" from EN EL AIRE by Alain Perez (Ayva, 2007)
"Chamego (Betty's Bossa)" from A DAY LIKE THIS by
New York Voice (MCG Jazz, 2007)
"Sama Layuca" from QUARTET by MyCoy Tyner (Half Note, 2007)

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=364#p891>Playlist
for January 16, 2008

"Passion Dance" from QUARTET by MyCoy Tyner (Half Note, 2007)
"The Real McBop" from LIVE AT THE BLUE NOTE by
Arturo Sandoval (Half Note, 2005)
"Amazing Grace" from M2 by Marcus Miller (Telarc, 2001)
"The Mingus That I Knew" from JUDGMENT by Pete
Zimmer Quintet featuring George Garzone (Tippin'
Records, 2007)
"Tumbleweed" from PILGRIMAGE by Michael Brekker (Heads Up, 2007)
"I Regret" from THE FIVE A.M. STRUT by Ezra Weiss (UMOJA, 2003)
"Mid-Life" from BAZAAR by Rez Abbasi (Zoho, 2007)
"Peaches En Regalia" from HOT RATS by Frank Zappa (Barking Pumpkin, 1987)
"Tom Sawyer" from PROG by The Bad Plus (Heads Up, 2007)
"Tinta Verde" from BUENOS AIRES TANGO STANDARDS by Pablo Aslan (Zoho, 2007)
"99 MacDougal" from REFUGEE by Hector Martignon (Zoho, 2007)
"I Still Love You a.k.a Zingaro" from A VOICE IN THE NIGHT by Carla White
"Zingaro" from ZINGARO by Alexis Cole (Canpy Jazz, 2007)
"Titicaca" from IMPRESIONES by Mark Van Overmeire (Kramusica, 2003)

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=368#p905>Playlist
for January 23, 2008

"Coltrane Time" from LOCKED & LOADED by Odean Pope (Half Note, 2006)
"Blues by Five" from COOKIN' WITH THE MILES DAVIS
QUINTET by The Miles Davis Quintet (Fantasy, 1956)
"Shana" from JAZZ FOR THE OPEN ROAD by David
"Fathead" Newman (Jazz Heritage, 1999)
"A Ra" from NEW YORK SAMBA JAZZ QUINTET by Hendrik Meurkens (Zoho, 2007)
"Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love" from THE COLE
PORTER SONGBOOK by Ella Fitzgerald (Verve, 1956)
"Blackbird" from DEREGULATING JAZZ by Brad Mehldau (Warner Bros, 1997)
"Petits Machins" from SKETCHES OF SPAIN Y MASS by
Conrad Herwig (Half Note, 2006)
"Spanish Castle Magic" from FLY by Mark Turner,
Jeff Ballard & Larry Grenadier (Savoy, 2004)
"My Favorite Things" from MATADOR by Grant Green (Blue Note, 1965)
"And I Love Her" from THE FRED HERSCH TRIO + 2 by
The Fred Hersch Trio + 2 (Palmetto Records, 2004)
"The Entertainer" from CINEMADREAMS by Claude Bolling Big Band (BMG, 1996)
"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" from PROG by The Bad Plus (Heads Up, 2007)
"Piano Para Papa" from DE TAL PALO ŠTAL VALDES by
Lazaro Valdes (Pimienta, 2003)
"Bala Com Bala" from ANDANCA by Grazyna Auguscik & Paulinho Garcia (GMA, 2007)
"Minor Leaps" from UNEARTH by Jonathan Kreisberg (Mel Bay, 2005)
"Aquelas Coisas Todas (All Those Things)" from
BOSSA NOVA by John Pizzarelli (Telarc, 2004)
"Tryin' Times" from LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER by
Roseanna Vitro (Challenge, 2006)

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=382#p928>Playlist
for January 30, 2008

"Bebop" from YOU AND THE NIGHT AND THE MUSIC by
Sonny Fortune (18th & Vine, 2007)
"Time and Circumstance" from TIME AND
CIRCUMSTANCE by Marcus Roberts Trio (Columbia,
1996)
"Dragon Fly" from JUST LIKE THIS by Keefe
Jackson's Project Project (Delmark, 2007)
"Galactic Voyage" from A SONG FROM THE SUN by The
Sun Ra Arkestra (El Ra Records, 1999)
"Let's Face The Music and the Dance" from I'M
WITH THE BAND by Tierney Sutton Band (Telarc,
2005)
"Theme for Malcolm" from LANDMARKS by Donald Byrd (Savoy Jazz, 1998)
"Power" from CHRONICLE by Chicago Underground Trio (Delmark, 2007)
"Guajira Mi Mujer" from AZUL OSCURO by Suenos Latin-Jazz (Motophone, 2006)
"Leather" from BAZAAR by Rez Abbasi (Zoho, 2007)
"Sonny's Dream" from SONNY'S DREAM (BIRTH OF THE
NEW COOL) by The Sonny Criss Orchestra (Fantasy,
1992)
"Xoloft" from MOONBIRD by Larry Goldings Trio (Palmetto, 1999)
"Never Walk Away" from UNDER THE MOON by Barbara Sfraga (A440, 2003)

<http://www.thelion.fm/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=385#p943>Playlist
for February 5, 2008

"Go To The Mardi Gras" from MARDI GRAS 2004 by
The Dukes of Dixieland (Lesiure Jazz, 2004)
"Dreamboat" by Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews
from NEW ORLEANS BRASS by Various Artists
(Putumayo World Music, 2007)
"Bourbon Street Parade" from MARSALIS STANDARD
TIME VO. 2 by Wynton Marsalis (Sony, 1991)
"It's All Over Now" by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
with Dr. John from NEW ORLEANS BRASS by Various
Artists (Putumayo World Music, 2007)
"What'd I Say" from ROOTS & GROOVES by Maceo Parker (Heads Up, 2008)
"Nothing Will Be As It Was" from ANDANCA by
Grazyna Auguscik & Pauliho Garcia (GMA Records,
2007)
"Star Dust" from PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A
YOUNG MAN by Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra
(Sony, 1931)
"Blue Set" from A SONG FOR THE SUN by The Sun Ra Arkestra (El Ra Records, 1999)
"The Long and the Short of It" from CBQ at CPFA by
Chris Byrne Quartet (Chris Byrne, 2001)
"The Gumbo Variations" from HOT RATS by Frank Zappa (Rykodisc, 1970)
"Two Bass Hit" from 'ROUND ABOUT MIDNIGHT by Miles Davis (Columbia, 1956)
"Advanced Funk" from ROOTS & GROOVES by Maceo Parker (Heads Up, 2008)
"Obayoko" from MELAO by Francisco Mela (Ayva, 2006)
"Dark Eyes" from ALWAYS GOING WEST by Misha Tsiganov (Misha Tsiganov, 2007)

S. Shyam Sundar, PhD
Professor & Co-Director,
Media Effects Research Laboratory (http://www.psu.edu/dept/medialab)
College of Communications