[JPL] The Jazz Session: One Year! 50,000 Downloads! Avishai Cohen!

Jason Crane jason at thejazzsession.com
Sun Feb 10 09:42:40 EST 2008

ATTENTION LABELS & REPS: If you have artists coming through the Albany,
NY/Western Massachusetts area, please let me know and I'll try to
arrange in-person interviews. Thanks!

Hello friends!

On Feb. 25, 2008, The Jazz Session celebrates its first anniversary. One
year ago, I sat down with saxophonist Grant Stewart to record show #1.
It’s been a great ride since then.

As a matter of fact, TJS hit its 50,000th download today! Thank you very
much to all of you for the amazing support you’ve given me. That goes
out to all the artists, labels, PR folks, jazz broadcasters and writers,
and especially the listeners.

As you know, TJS has been on a hiatus recently because of my ongoing
relocation to Albany, NY. I’m still working in Albany five days a week
and commuting back to Rochester on the weekends as we get our house
ready to sell and look for a new home in Albany. New shows will be on a
less-than-regular schedule until that gets straightened out.

But never fear, a new show is here! Trumpeter Avishai Cohen joined me to
talk about his album After The Big Rain. The interview is available
right now, so check it out!

I’m also getting back into the swing of things with All About Jazz. I’ll
have several interviews out soon (I promise, John K!), so look for those
at AllAboutJazz.com.

Thanks again for all your support, and for making The Jazz Session more
successful than I ever imagined. Onward into 2008!

THE JAZZ SESSION

THE JAZZ SESSION #35: AVISHAI COHEN (TRUMPET). Jason Crane interviews
trumpeter and composer Avishai Cohen. (Not to be confused with bassist
and composer Avishai Cohen.) Cohen is at the center of a vibrant musical
scene in New York City — full of experimentation, melding musical
styles, and an appetite for adventure. More than that, Cohen is a
philosopher-musician, using his compositions to explore larger societal
questions. His 2007 album After The Big Rain (Anzic Records, 2007) looks
at the planet after a worldwide flood. The album is the final part of a
trilogy (although Part 3 was recorded first) that explores the steps
leading up to the flood, the flood itself, and its aftermath.

LISTEN:
<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/02/09/the-jazz-session-35-avishai-cohen-trumpet/

Here's how to listen:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player or
the RSS feed links.

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:

<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

See you on the scene,

Jason

--
Jason Crane