[JPL] Young Players

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 21:27:01 EST 2008

Tom,

Reading responses to the question, there seems to be some confusion
about the term "Traditional Jazz".    To a be-bopper, the term means
early New Orleans or Chicago-style in the 20s - the kind of music
played at The Sacramento Dixieland Festival, or Hot Jazz Societies.
In the past twenty years "Traditional Jazz"  seems to have morphed into
covering most any jazz that doesn't involve electric instruments.

I'm not sure what style was intended here but it seems there are very
few young players of traditional "Traditional Jazz" but quite a few of
the post swing/pre-fusion style of the 50s-60s  like Benny Green, Roy
Hargrove, the Clayton Brothers, Cyrus Chestnut, etc. but  some of them
like Hargrove also have an edgier modern style group, too.

Another term I've never understood is "post-modern" - what's that
supposed to mean, futuristic?

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org