[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Feb 4

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 00:10:23 EST 2008

Still Another Jazz Show  Feb 4
ELIANE ELIAS SINGS & PLAYS BILL EVANS    	“You And The
Night And The Music” “Waltz For Debby” “Five”
SOMETHING FOR YOU   Blue Note
ENRICO PIERANUNZI   “The Nymph”   PLAY MORRICONE
CamJazz
KENIA   “Catupiry”  SIMPLY KENIA   Mooka Records
JAKE BERGEVIN   “I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face”
“The Sacred Romance”
HOLDING BACK THE DAWN
GRAZYNA  AUGUSCIK/ PAULINHO GARCIA    “Bala Com Bala”
“Gdy Wybierac' Jeszcze Mogtan”   CMA Records
PAT METHENY TRIO   “Snova”  “Calvin's Keys” DAY TRIP
Nonesuch Records
THE AUDIENCE WITH BETTY CARTER   “Sounds, Movin On”
Polygram Records
PHIL WOODS & CARL SAUNDERS PLAY HENRY MANCNI   “Mr
Lucky”  “Sorta Blue”  Jazzed Media
HOLLY COLE   “The House Is Haunted”   “Larger Than
Life”  “Your My Thrill”
KOCH RECORDS
Brazilian pianist, ELIANE ELIAS begins with a new cd,
SOMETHING FOR YOU, Eliane Elias sings & plays Bill
Evans.  She's a magic styled supporter,  much as
fifties modern as the all new post modern . Eliane
Elias is an excellent jazz pianist attested here on
this new cd, “Something For You.”
Bill Evans was a modern jazz sentimentalist and we all
loved his music dearly. And to our surprise, Eliane
does an heart warming portrayal. We played the
standard, “You And The Night And The Music,””Waltz For
Debby,” where Eliane sings the lyric of Gene Lees, and
an Evans piano original, “Five.”
Italian jazz pianist ENRICO PIERANUNZI follows with an
interesting coincidence from his cd, PLAY MORRICONE,
where rhythm players Marc Johnson and Joey Baron are
featured on both above cd's.
The seductive Brazilian vocalist, KENIA concludes this
segment with a spry run in “Catupiry.”  The fabulous
guitarist Romero Lubumba is featured.
If you really want to hear something from KENIA in
English. than listen to her rendition of Willie
Nelson's “Crazy” and you'll fall in love. The new cd,
SIMPLY KENIA.
Trumpet player/ vocalist JAKE BERGEVIN begins to the
next segment of SAJS
from his new cd, HOLDING BACK THE DAWN.
We played the standard “I've Grown Accustomed To Her
Face,” with a slow hypnotic modern arrangement,
followed by Pat Metheny's, “The Sacred Romance” the
lyrics penned by Jake Bergevin. It works so well.
Bergevin vocals capture the unique and 'soft natural
tenure ' of the 'Chet Baker' vocal range.
GRAZYNA  AUGUSCIK  and PAULHINO GARCIA combine their
natural talents with a cd of bossa and Polish songs.
We played “Bala com bala” and  “Gdy wybierac' jezcze
mogtam.”
The first is a scat & jazzy Portuguese bossa and the
next is a Polish lyric(I Think) done in nova fashion.
It doesn't matter if you don't understand the lyric,
for the songs are well stated and apportioned,
arrangements are exemplary.
And if you're in love when listening, this is the best
you've heard as your pupils dilated, ever!
Grazyna Auguscik & Paulinho Garcia are like abortive
dripping chocolate, a maximus experience.
The DAFO String Quartet add a classy aperitif.
This may be the 'scratch and sniff' love bait of 2008!
PAT METHEN TRIO with Christian McBride and Antonio
Sanchez conclude the first  hour of SAJS from the new
DAYTRIP album.  We played “Snova,” ascribe of  ancient
Metheny heralds and “Calvin's Keys.”
If you take a walk on a  blissful gray May day around
Monterey Bay, then you know Pat Metheny.
 Subtle humidity and nuance with a Tal Farlow
intellect.
We continue our trek to the essential BETTY CARTER in
the second hour of SAJS
from the CD THE AUDIENCE WITH BETTY CARTER from a live
performance at the Great Americqan Music Hall  San
Francisco, 1979.
I'll admit, I worship at the throne of a true mythic
jazz goddess.
I wish I'd a been a fast articulate jazz pianist under
the tutelage of this great jazz performer, as John
Hicks, Mulgrew Miller  and Geri Allen.
We played the 25 minute version of the world's longest
jazz vocal, “Sounds(Movin' On) by miss sweet  B.
Carter herself.
We concluded this segment from HENDRIK MEURKINS new
cd, SAMBATROPOLIS.  Meurkins plays vibes on a classic
samba rendition of, BERNIES TUNE.
Superior Saxophonist PHIL WOODS and extraordinary
trumpeter CARL SAUNDERS
begin the last segment with the new PLAY HENRY
MANCINI.
Some of you may not be aware of Hank Mancini's music.
Those not familiar, this new Phil Woods/Carl Saunders
is very West Coast/theatrical for Mancini scored many
films and the Peter Gunn TV series, where Craig
Stevens, so laid back and cool as a gray flanneled
detective. Mancini's music fit the groove of the
Shorty Rogers era of West Coast jazz, a movement at
the time and captured so well in this new cd. We
played the theme to “Mr Lucky” and “Sorta Blue.”
Vocalist HOLLY COLE concludes SAJS with selections
from her studio album. The arrangements by pianist Gil
Goldstein, reedist, Marty Erhlich and Holly Cole  are
eccentric and different, casting a memory on your
psychic. The band is a nonet with the flexibility to
swing surreality and with Holly Cole's sultry
phrasing, this projects almost a Fellini motif. We
played “The House Is Haunted By The Echo Of Your Last
Goodbye” and “You're My Thrill.” The arrangement is
fifties new wave, between Benny Goodman and Gil Evans,
between love and obsession. We're adrift in noir
romance with Holly Cole's version of the 1933 song,
composed by Jay Gorney and lyrics by Sidney Clare.
I'll say goodbye for now, taking a drag off a Tareyton
and stepping into my TR -3, an early morning drive on
the I-10 to Santa Monica, onto Highway One as the
sunrise creeps off the Pacific, nonetheless separates
us from the rest.
Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
Mondays, 10am & 10pm, Pacific