[JPL] Young Players

Michelle Mobley michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 01:31:42 EST 2008

All - I, also, took Tom's request to mean "Trad Jazz", and yes, beside some
school groups who have embraced the art form, there are very few younger
players.  I remember when clarinet player Evan Christopher was a young prodigy
performing at the Summit Jazz Festival.  Relatively speaking, Howard Alden is a
youngster.

That aside, I would like to see a discussion on the actual definitions of the
different sub-genres of jazz music.  I find myself using "straight-ahead" to
cover anything that is not "trad" or "smooth".  It is time I broaden my
vocabulary.

Michelle from Peeedro