[JPL] Young Players

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 13:08:07 EST 2008

Jae, you're absolutely right about Tyler Lindsey. I saw him playing in
the trumpet section of Jay Thomas' Big Band at their regular first
Monday gig last month in Seattle and he blew me away.  He looks hardly
old enough to know which end of the trumpet to blow in, but he got
cheers from the audience and admiring glances from the pros in the band
as he took most of the trumpet solos that night.  There were a couple
of other kids in the band, including a high school girl playing bass
and another high school kid in the trumpets alongside guys in their 60s
and 70s in this band.  Gives you a real good feeling about the
continuum of jazz and the fact age makes no difference if you can play.

Jim