[JPL] Grammy/Herbie

POWDERSPAM at aol.com POWDERSPAM at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 13:12:39 EST 2008

<<I  think that's why Herbie winning was such a surprise. Amy Winehouse,
Kanye and  the Foo Fighters were winning everything they were nominated for so for
any one  of them to not win was major. A rare moment of artistic vision and
good taste  wins out at the Grammy's. I actually was interested to see the
coverage this  morning. WHile most years Album Of Year leads the post Grammy
coverage, this  morning on all the major networks it was almost a post-script to
their coverage.  NPR did have the good taste to make a big deal out of it in
comparison but you  could tell the rest were almost embarrassed by Herbie's  win>>

unfortunately, there are some writers out there who really have  nothing to
say beyond reporting on something sensationalistic, and even more  unfortunate
that those kinds of stories sell so well. amy and kanye are both  very
talented, but look at what gets covered about them in the  news--relatives landing in
jail and grand standing at awards shows. now, if  herbie had sucker-punched Q
or flipped off the audience, i'm sure he'd be on  page 1, but he's obviously
not that kind of person. even so, i felt really proud  last night that a
contemporary jazz artist won and i hope it gives jazz a boost  in general.
-david

48)