[JPL] Grammy Voting/Herbie's win

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 20:31:21 EST 2008

congratulations to herbie!
its fortunate his recording was submitted and made it through to the finals.  having accomplished that, he stood a pretty fair chance: the youth oriented voters were split essentially four ways.

this allowed the adult oriented voters tally to come out on top.  and yes the inclusion of so many well loved singers (almost all appealing to adult oriented voters) certainly helped as did the much beloved subject of the recording.

let's hope herbie's ground-breaking victory clears the path and that in the future from time to time we may see other jazz artists in the larger categories.  along those lines, we should push the Academy to reinstate separate male and female vocal categories in jazz.  since the two categories were combined into one, there's been a real imbalance favoring female vocalists, with very few males ingers even receiving nominations in past years.

and on the subject of herbie's win, forgive me this (shameless) plug:  Resonance Records will release John Beasley's "Letter to Herbie" a terrific and heartfelt tribute to the artist who lit John up as a youngster.  the album features christian mcbride, jeff tain watts and roy hargrove.  radio will see the record in early march.
ricky schultz
www.jazzconsultant.com