[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Feb 14 09:04:41 EST 2008

Spotlights shone on John Medeski, Tim Hagans and all the MOJA Grammy-winners, plus Michelle’s Jammin’ Jazz, Herbie Hancock Live in L.A. and 6 new additions to the playlist…next week on Beyond Jazz!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (18-24 February, 2008)

This Monday, February 18th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most inventive keyboardists in jazz today, JOHN MEDESKI! Not only will you hear the music of John with his incredible trio Medeski, Martin & Wood, but also from some of his many collaborations with the likes of Club D’Elf, John Scofield, Matthew Shipp and more.  Plus John gives us his own words to shed light on one of the brilliant careers going today. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week it’s JOHN MEDESKI in the spotlight on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino   where you get an hour of music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle presents what she calls “A funk extravaganza! Just fer the helluvit” as she turns to England for the music of The New Mastersounds and The James Taylor Quartet. Then  to New Orleans for Stanton Moore . She’ll throw in some of the finest sax around with the music of Javon Jackson, some of the finest Hammond B3 groove from Germany’s Barbara Dennerlein and more.

This week, we celebrate the first “Album of the Year Grammy” for a jazz artist in 43 years as we present HERBIE HANCOCK Live @ The Knitting Factory in L.A. on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, we’ll take you back to the city where the great Herbie Hancock enjoyed his most recent major success in his glorious career.  We’ll head to The Knitting Factory in Los Angeles, the city where he just received the “Album of the Year Grammy” for “River: The Joni Letters,” to hear Herbie in an incredible electric set featuring trumpet master Wallace Roney, drummer Terry Lynn Carrington, and other all-stars. It’s HERBIE HANCOCK Live @ The Knitting Factory in L.A., this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eas tern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark presents a special show called GRAMMY REDUX as he looks back at the award winners from the world of MOJA in the 2008 Grammys.  You’ll hear from Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, Joe Zawinul, Terence Blanchard, Paquito D’Rivera and more.

This Saturday, February 23rd, we’ll focus on a brilliant trumpeter, composer, and arranger who’s at the forefront of one of the major trends in modern jazz with another edition of WORDS & MUSIC, this one titled TIM HAGANS REDISCOVERED. In the late 1990’s Tim made some of the most inventive, electric records in MOJA with releases like “Animation-Imagination” and “Re-Animation: Live In Montreal” then we lost track of him. Where did he go?  What was he doing?  Well, when we caught up with him at this year’s International Association for Jazz Education conference in Toronto, we found out what he’s been doing and got a ton of his latest recordings. We also found out that he’s part of a major trend in MOJA today, and that is making jazz with a large ensemble, something he’s been doing at the highest level with Europe’s finest musicians.  You’ll get the whole story as interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s TIM HAGANS REDISCOVERED, the next edition of WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday on XM 72-Beyond Jazz.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
We have 6 new releases to premier this Sunday, February 24th, another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz!

First, two masters and good friends, Chick Corea & Gary Burton release a live reprise of one of their most famous recordings titled “The New Crystal Silence.”

You’ll also hear the latest from a drummer you’ve heard with Marcus Miller, Alex Bugnon and others…it’s Poogie Bell on a new CD titled “Get On The Kit,” and you can be sure this thing is funky!

The leader of Sex Mob, Steven Bernstein, is joined by a host of all-stars like  Will Bernard, John Schott, Scott Amendola and Nels Cline, for an inventive and personal recording titled “Diaspora Suite.”

Then it’s the sound of Brooklyn from young sax-man, Eric Person and a new one titled “Rhythm Edge,” followed by more MOJA from Scandinavia with Swedish trumpeter Anders Bergcrantz and his new one “About Time.”

Then we’ll close it out with an incredibly funky and inventive group from the Chicago area, The Jigawatt Trio and their newest titled “Scenes.”

So listen for this hot, new MOJA beginning at 5 PM Eastern/2 PM Pacific, on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.