[JPL] Gamble & Huff Radio Special - updated update

paterstanman paterstanman at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 15 21:12:16 EST 2008

Where are the musicians in this special? I listened to the whole
thing and never heard drummer Earl Young mentioned--Sigma Sound is
mentioned but what about engineer Joe Tarsia? Gamble and Huff would
not have happened without either of them. To me the special is a
glib, very safe-feel-good overview of the Philly R&B scene. It does
mention Thom Bell and Buddy Martin a few times and I give credit for
that. I guess if people are completely ignorant of this music it will
help but it focuses on the stars instead of the nuts and bolts. When
I listen to the tracks I marvel at the musicianship and the
engineering and especially the bass and drums--who are these cats???
I believe Anthony Jackson is the bass on "Money". The swells in the
horns on "Cowboys To Girls" are done by pros--maybe from the Phily
classical scene--of course Wynton will be laughing up his sleeve but
let's hear him replicate that. OK I agree it works as an NPR overview
special for the musically challenged masses.