[JPL] MISSISSIPPI RAG NOW FREE ONLINE

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 16:15:10 EST 2008

Dear Listmates:  I'm mostly a "lurker" on the Jazz Programmers list but I
glean good information and try to pass along to jazz enthusiasts in our Jazz
Society of Pensacola and other jazz societies.  Thanks for all you do to
spread the good news of jazz!

Here is note from Leslie Johnson, editor of the Mississippi Rag, a monthly
publication featuring mostly traditional jazz.  Hope you will find it of
interest and, perhaps, pass it along to your listeners.

Yours for jazz-America's Music,

Norman

 Norman Vickers' editorial comment:

Leslie Johnson, editor of the Mississippi Rag a monthly newsmag. featuring
traditional jazz, sent this notice at my request.

I am pleased that it is now FREE online and will get wider distribution.
I've been a longtime subscriber both to the Miss. Rag and the American Rag,
a California Jazz monthly also primarily featuring traditional jazz.  After
Miss. Rag ceased its print edition, I subscribed for the online edition.
There are certain features that I miss-it's easier for me to read a print
edition.  But, on the other hand, photos are in color in the online edition,
a definite plus.  Besides, it's now FREE!  A definite plus for all.

Here is the notice which Leslie Johnson sent at my request. As stated, it's
now FREE and you can e-mail her to be put on the list for notification each
month when new edition is ready.

Leslie Johnson wrote:

The Mississippi Rag, now in its 35th year as "The Voice of Traditional Jazz
and Ragtime," is now free on its website, www.mississippirag.com, in a very
user friendly format. The latest transformation of the RAG took place in
January 2008. For the year prior to that, the RAG was online but in a PDF
format available only to subscribers. Now it's free to anyone who logs onto
www.mississippirag.com. Readers are encouraged to write to
editor at mississippirag.com if they want to be notified each month when the
new issue is available.

Both the latest change and the previous change (from a printed tabloid which
was mailed to 26 countries), were precipitated by the need to lessen the
workload of editor/publisher Leslie Johnson, who has been fighting a rare
form of cancer since mid-2005. Until her editorials announced the various
changes, many readers weren't aware that the RAG actually is produced by a
one-person editorial staff (Leslie) with occasional help from her sister,
Jody. Articles, reviews and columns are written by freelancers, not a
resident staff.

The health challenges, coupled with with increased printing prices,
two-digit hikes in second-class postal rates and the elimination of surface
mail to destinations outside the U.S., led to dropping the print RAG
altogether, but the move to an online RAG allowed for extensive use of color
and other innovative techniques. An online distributor was used for the PDF
version of the RAG but isn't necessary anymore now that the RAG is free off
its website..

The new free RAG includes many of the same kind of historical articles,
festival coverage, interviews, photos, columns, and listings that were
featured in both the printed and PDF-online RAGs. The look and feel of the
previous RAGs has been retained, but, with the new web-based format, it's
easier to read and print, thanks to the efforts of webmaster Jeff Holman and
Dave Lindquist of Protype Design. Ad revenue is expected to cover the costs
of producing the RAG. Each page includes ads which are hyperlinked to
websites. The ads also can be enlarged to their own separate pages as a
convenience for printing them out to make reservations for the various
events.

The response to the new RAG has been very positive, and traffic to the
website has been heavy, with more than 6500 visitors checking out the
January RAG within its first three weeks online -- good news for
advertisers. (That issue is still available for viewing.) The February RAG
was released Feb. 10, and 2500 visitors have already checked it out in just
the first five days, so the RAG's future looks bright.

 ``````                                                     --end--

F. Norman Vickers

3720 McClellan Road

Pensacola, FL 32503-3412

850-432-9743 (home)

850-324-5022 (cell)

850-433-8382 ( Jazz Society of Pensacola)

nvickers1 at cox.net ( that's ONE not L)

www.jazzpensacola.com

F. Norman Vickers

JAZZ SOCIETY OF PENSACOLA, INC.