[JPL] Seattle HS Jazz Bands

mfa - jazz radio promotion & publicity MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 17:36:26 EST 2008

Jake Bergevin is the leader of one of the bands Jim refers to -- at
Edmonds-Woodway HS -- that is a repeat finalist in the Essentially
Ellington competition and Starbucks'' Java Cool Jazz concert...
[JPL] JazzWeek Summit 2008 panel update/call for suggestions

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 13:03:45 EST 2008
suggestions
Reebs, Ed,

Seattle has a particularly strong well-established high school jazz
band program, area bands often winning first or placing in top three at
Essentially Ellington national competition at J at LC each year.
Starbucks sponsors an annual Hot Java Cool Jazz concert featuring 5 top
HS bands and sells over 2000 seats in a downtown concert hall with
proceeds benefiting the school music programs.  KPLU has produced and
promoted three "School of Jazz" CDs featuring a DOZEN different HS
bands, each with a different prominent local jazz player as soloist who
has coached the band for the recording session.  There's a CD release
party at a major concert hall when it's completed.   It's an excellent
community project for the station.

I do a Sunday afternoon "Jazz Northwest" hour for KPLU that focuses
exclusively on the regional scene from Portland to Vancouver.  On
alternate weeks the show is a location recording I've done in local
clubs, concerts, festivals, etc. with the intent of promoting the
live/local jazz scene.  Most of these programs feature resident rather
than visiting musicians. There are maybe six pro big bands playing
every month, dozens of small groups and singers, several festivals,
concert series and clubs so there's lots to pick from around Seattle.
www.seattlejazzscene.com / www.earshot.org

Local stations need to build strong links to the community by having a
visible presence at events and reflecting them and promoting them on
the air.   DJ/ MCs are a start, but there's much more that local radio
stations can do for community wide appeal that provides unique benefits
over corporate radio/ satellite/ internet/ ipod competition.

Perhaps some of this topic might be even more appropriate for IAJE in
Seattle, when attendees will have opportunities to hear some of these
bands as well.

I don't think I can make JazzWeek, but maybe the Jazz Improv concert in
the Fall, and of course IAJE in Seattle, 2008.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org