[JPL] Scholastic jazz on jazz radio

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Feb 19 18:30:05 EST 2008

I am proud to say that for the past 12 years during the school year,
jazz89KUVO brings a high school or collegiate band, at times even a middle
school band to perform in our monthly scholastic series of live performances
from our Oasis performance Studio, most often the 2nd Tuesday of every month
at 7pm. This series is sponsored in great deal by the locally owned, family
run music store chain Flesher-Hinton Music who also works with us for our
Music Instrument Drive we conduct every other year, gathering donated
instruments in the parking lot of our local NBC-TV affiliate. Flesher-Hinton
Music repairs the instruments and then given to
Metro Denver area schools with jazz music courses and bands.

There is an abundance of talented young ladies and men in Metro Denver who
look forward to playing live over the air and for their parents and guests
in the studio. This is incentive for them to practice, it's a reward of
sorts. Many professional musicians along the Front Range as well as national
artists from Denver have played in our Oasis Studio as students. Some of you
may have seen the Colorado Conservatory of Jazz Arts Band play
Intercontinental hotel lobby during the IAJE in Toronto, they caused quite a
stir with their playing and composing skills, one of the smiling faces in
the audience was Richie Cole who when he played last week at jazz89KUVO
mentioned how impressed he was with those "kids musicianship", the band
leader and instructor, drummer Paul Romaine was drumming behind Richie at
KUVO and then at Dazzle later that week.

It's all about exposure.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City