[JPL] Music speeds stroke recovery

Al Karia jctrane at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:26:14 EST 2008

i would recommend, for folks interested in music and neurology, that you
make "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks (Knopf, 2007) an addition to your
must-read list. Although some portions of this book would be tough-sledding
for those not versed in brain physiology, it is nonetheless a fascinating
review of the links and interactions between music and the brain . Sacks
covers a diverse range of topics in the book including such topics as
"earworms" (those catchy melodies that we can't seem get rid of); "musical
hallucinations" (where a few random notes  or noises  may lead us to
imagined fragments or whole bars of tunes we know); the upside and downside
of having perfect pitch: musical savants.
     Gene Abkarian  KRFC  Ft Collins