[JPL] My 25th anniversary on-air

LMazel jazz at kcme.org
Wed Feb 20 17:10:27 EST 2008

   I made my debut presenting jazz on the radio at KRCC in Colorado Springs
on February 24, 1983. The following is the playlist of my first show, which
I will be recreating this Saturday night, February 23, for my 25th
anniversary. Note that all the selections are long, which I planned as a
precaution because it was all LPs at that time, and I was given very little
training (a couple of hours) before being thrown on air.

MAX ROACH - Nommo (Drums Unlimited)

LEE MORGAN - Absolutions (Live At The Lighthouse)

THELONIOUS MONK - Well, You Needn't (Monk's Music)

                                            Brilliant Corners, Ba-Lue
Bolivar Ba-Lues Are (Brilliant Corners)

JOHN COLTRANE - Ole (Ole Coltrane)

                                      Blue Train (Blue Train)

ELVIN JONES - Agenda (Poly-Currents)

CHARLIE PARKER - Buzzy, Milestones, Little Willie Leaps (Savoy Sessions)

Here's my history:

KRCC

February 1983 to September 1988 - various times

KCME

Night Train - April 1990 to December 2001 - Saturdays, 6 PM to 1 AM

                       January 2002 to present - Saturdays, 6 PM to midnight

Beyond Midnight - summer months, 1991 to 1997 - weeknights, midnight to 6 AM

Sunrise Serenade - December 1994 to present - Saturdays, 6 AM to noon

Lenny Mazel

Jazz Director - KCME

1921 N Weber St

Colorado Springs, CO 80907